GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Bell Housing Leak?????

Default Bell Housing Leak?????

Alright, every time i get something done to my car --> transmission repair, alignment, etc... whatever I get to look under the car while its raised up. And what I see all the time is the only place the engine/transmission is leaking anything is in the middle, where the bellhousing attaches to the engine. I am not sure what exactly it is leaking but its something like oil or whatnot. There are no other leaks anywhere in the car, engine, transmission are fine - just that spot...

What I see is a drop of oil hanging down in the very middle there between the transmission and the engine.

Can someone please let me know what it can possibly be? I always thought bell housings were supposed to be empty and all. I am worried that it might lead to a serious issue or something.

-Artem

I found out its most likely the main output seal leak. Can someone give me a ballpark as to how long can i be driving with this problem until i really need to replace it? Also... ways of replacing the seal are always welcome, because this is my first car anyway - and I am learning to repair cars (namely BMWs) as I go. Im planning to get a brand new BMW once i get a job out of college anyway.

But yea, i have no idea what to do with the sela, so if anyone has done it and documented it, please let me know.

-Artem

If it's engine oil, it's probably a rear main seal leak. If it's tranny fluid, it's probably the tranny input shaft seal.

best, whit

Here my pics. Front end shaft sealing on the trans damaged. As some bolts could not be removed while installed on the car, engine complete with trans had to come out
    http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/eric...ds/gallery.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemLepilov
    Alright, every time i get something done to my car --> transmission repair, alignment, etc... whatever I get to look under the car while its raised up. And what I see all the time is the only place the engine/transmission is leaking anything is in the middle, where the bellhousing attaches to the engine. I am not sure what exactly it is leaking but its something like oil or whatnot. There are no other leaks anywhere in the car, engine, transmission are fine - just that spot...

What I see is a drop of oil hanging down in the very middle there between the transmission and the engine.

Can someone please let me know what it can possibly be? I always thought bell housings were supposed to be empty and all. I am worried that it might lead to a serious issue or something.

-Artem
    The thing is that leak could just dribble on for months, or suddenly throw out so much oil/fluid that your car would be undriveable. Five years ago I had a Ford Granada, and the front gearbox oil seal (that had been dribbling for a week or 2) ruptured, chucking smelly A/T oil all over the road. If you're miles away from home you may have a problem. I really would suggest getting it fixed for peace of mind - it's a lot of work though!

HTH,

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    The thing is that leak could just dribble on for months, or suddenly throw out so much oil/fluid that your car would be undriveable. Five years ago I had a Ford Granada, and the front gearbox oil seal (that had been dribbling for a week or 2) ruptured, chucking smelly A/T oil all over the road. If you're miles away from home you may have a problem. I really would suggest getting it fixed for peace of mind - it's a lot of work though!

HTH,

Shaun

Wow, this is really a perfect explanation of what could happen. Thank you :-)

I think I will try driving this thing for a while longer and if something like that blows i would probably notice it right away... and a bunch of sensors would go off right away. I will take care of the problem next summer most likely sometime.

-Artem

Hope I didn't spoil your day there - just wanted to tell you the truth - other guys here could give you similar experiences.

Cheers,

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    Hope I didn't spoil your day there - just wanted to tell you the truth - other guys here could give you similar experiences.

Cheers,

Shaun

Yea, the truth works. As long as my engine doesnt get shot in the process of it blowing out then its all good...

-Artem