GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Jacks - I am about to pull the trigger...

Default Floor Jacks - I am about to pull the trigger...

....and buy the AC Hydraulics DK20Q as seen here:

http://www.asedeals.com/hydraulicjacks2.html

I know Bill R. speaks highly of the Powerbuilt model but I can't find one anywhere near San Antonio, TX and am tired of this Craftsman 3 ton jack that has no control on the lowering of the vehicle, it just blew its guts (seals) and is just out of the one year warranty. FYI, one of the salesmen as Sears said they have a habit of blowing seals at this early age.

You fellas think 4,400 lb. capacity is enough to safely lift my '94 Land Cruiser too?! I am guessing at this level of quality on a jack that is plenty to lift the front or rear of the truck.

Please either give me another good option on the jack, or tell me this is a great decision on my part.

Much appreciated and good driving.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

Default Should I get the Quicklift, or the regular floor jack?!

What are the pro's and con's of each? Mainly, what are the con's of the Quicklift?
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

I havent ever seen one of these jacks so I wouldnt be able to give you hands on experience, however that quick lift option looks like an idea that I would want for sure. I hate having to pump and pump the handle of a jack while beating on the bottom of a vehicle until it starts to lift the car. Their web page is kind of hard to follow with it being 3 stories wide but I read the good stuff. They brag a lot and have a 5 year warranty so I dont think that it would be a bad choice.

After you get it and use it, write us a review. I might look into one next time I hit the lottery!

Jeff
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I got a quick lift from ...

Pepboys a couple years ago and it sucks. It go up fast to the chassis but once it's there, it is very hard to get the car up. Also when you have to lift and get down a little bit and lift again it seems to get stuck and won't lift any more, so I have to low down fully and start all over from the beginning. Don't remember brand, but if you need it, I can let you know.

The worst thing about it, is that coming out of the shop, a clever guy that saw me having it warn me about the mistake I was doing, and told me to go to Autozone a couple blocks away to get a good jack, but I ignored him. Hope you don't make the same mistake

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    Pepboys a couple years ago and it sucks. It go up fast to the chassis but once it's there, it is very hard to get the car up. Also when you have to lift and get down a little bit and lift again it seems to get stuck and won't lift any more, so I have to low down fully and start all over from the beginning. Don't remember brand, but if you need it, I can let you know.

The worst thing about it, is that coming out of the shop, a clever guy that saw me having it warn me about the mistake I was doing, and told me to go to Autozone a couple blocks away to get a good jack, but I ignored him. Hope you don't make the same mistake

Being a TLC guys as well as an e34 guy, I think your 80 Series weighs a bit more than 4400lbs. I have scaled mine at 6000+ on a few trips.... But you are unlikely to take all the weight on the jack at once. Looks like a nice jack, but I think I would be looking for an American made unit.

Jim

I have heard that the Danish by law have to make the jack capacity twice what the stated rating is for safety reasons. Regardless, the Cruiser weighs in at about 4,800 lbs according to the data I have, so I figure the rating for the jack should be reasonable to handle that truck assuming it's not loaded up while in the garage.

I really like the fact that this jack automatically lowers the vehicle very slowly, over an eight second period. There is virtually no way to "drop" the car.

As far as "buying American", do you feel the domestic jacks are better, or that it will be hard to buy parts for, or just strictly on principle?

Appreciate the input.

Gute Fahrt !
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi

http://www.vorshlag.com/tech_jacks1.asp

Here's a pretty good site- these guys tested a bunch of jacks, including the DK (which they LOVE) and the HF aluminum jacks. Pretty good reading.

Bret.

I did happen to catch that and that helped seal my decision on the AC Hydraulics jack. I am leaning towards the regular model as opposed to the Quick Lift version thanks to some good advise here.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi

Unregistered Guest

Default Reason for US Jacks

I was really only thinking of parts. I think that is a really good price for a great unit, and with shipping included and a quick lift pedal I do like it.

Jim

Default FWIW, picked up a 3-ton NAPA floor jack

made by Lincoln for 199.95 Fri., 54" padded handle, just fits under my lowered 535 to reach the front frame cross member, on sale I think through end of month, used it on the e12 and e34 this weekend and am very satisfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast