GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pics... and questions

Default Pics... and questions

Here is my really really fuzzy car... sorry for the quality of pics ill take some better ones tomorrow.

PS - i got an alignment today... And The rear setting is way off... The car has been hit in the drivers side rear but repaired and rebuilt later on. Please let me know if anyone out there knows what this could do in the long run and what are the problems that could arise from it.

Here is the results (Bold is wrong)

Rear: Left
    Actual Before Specified angle (range)
    -1.9 -1.9 -2.8 -1.8 Camber
    -0.58 -0.59 0.15 0.27 Toe

Rear:
    Actual Before Specified angle
    Cross Camber -0.1 -0.1 -0.5 0.5
    Total Toe -0.31 -0.35 0.30 0.53
    Thrust Angle -0.42 -0.42 -0.25 0.25

-Artem

Also - how do you people post pics here? I tried to post and this is best i can do... It says i got a 37Kb limit?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by ArtemLepilov; 10-17-2005 at 07:19 PM.

I'm having trouble interpreting the information because of the layout, but that may just be me. The camber is typical. Beyond tire wear, all that really matters in terms of how the car tracks down the road is the total thrust angle.

Bent trailing arms aren't uncommon on cars that have had rear end damage. They're a lot of work to replace, though. I've done a few E30/E34 ones and it takes me a good half of a day or more...that's not even messing with the bushings.

best, whit

Well, I will get a complete drivetrain and rear supension from an M5, would that do the trick? Or are trailing arms not a part of the subframe? Let me know - the layout changed from the way i intended it to be... but what are you gonna do.. its HTML... Basically the total thrust angle is -.42

Let me know if dropping a new subframe would do the trick. The car was actually totaled before - the damage was pretty extensive, the frame was pulled and welded out.

-Artem

The subframe and trailing arms are theoretically separate, although both can bend. The trailing arm attaches to the subframe, primarily by two cylindrical rubber bushings. The half shaft and strut also support it. If the hit was significant enough, the unibody itself could be out of alignment, but there'd probably be some signs of creasing. Then again, I've witnessed some cheap ass bodywork on high book value cars recently....so you never know.

I don't know why one would waste the time and money dropping an M5 drivetrain (meaning engine, trans, driveshaft, differential) and rear suspension into an M50 525. Almost every subsystem is different, so there'll be a lot of work and work arounds involved.

A much smarter idea would be to replace the car with an actual M5 and stop sinking money into it. There's much more to be said about this, but I'm not the guy to say it...

best, whit

Well, a part of why I would waste time on this especially if the Getrag 280 bolts up to my engine is because i can get the entire thing really cheap and i mean REALLY cheap... And I would have a bunch of M5 parts lying around. Even though the engine is only the bottom half. Right now my main concern is the frame itself - if I can somehow repair the alignment problem in the rear... Or if i Need to (im not sure about the whole ~0.6 of a degree off and what it can do to the performance of the car.

-Artem
    Last edited by ArtemLepilov; 10-18-2005 at 09:25 AM.