GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbreakable E34

Default Unbreakable E34

I wanted to mention this because I figured y'all would be an appreciative crowd. My only other post was about a big trouble I'm having with my car (and it hasn't been the only one!), but I feel I should write this becaue I've been terribly impressed with my 540.

Last month I went on a trip to Merida, Mexico, which is in the Yucatan peninsula about 3h from Cancun; I live in Toronto, Canada. It was a long trip. By the time I got back home, I'd driven more than 11,000 km, 4000 of which were over some of the worst roads I've ever seen in my life (possibly an explanation to my other thread ). I saw 190 km/h a couple of times on smooth US interstates, and regularly drove 1500 km (~950 miles) in one day. On the way there I made the entire 5500 km crossing in 4 days, and passed through Detroit, Cinncinnati, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock, Dallas, San Antonio, Brownsville, Matamoros, Tampico, Veracruz, Villahermosa, Ciudad Carmen, Campeche and finally Merida. The Bimmer ran flaulessly, I added about 1.5L of oil (pretty sure I overfilled the crankcase a couple of times) and that was it. Didn't even need to add air to the tires. Btw, Mexicans seem to really love the car, and I got pulled over at a couple of military checkpoints just so the guards could pour over the engine bay and interior. After a performance like that, I could forgive a lot of my car's faults for a long time to come

Wow, that must have been a nice and interesting trip. I wish I will have time for that when I retire in a few years.
    My dream is still to rent a campervan and drive thru Australia for some months.
    If you have pics from your trip, please show to us.
    Thanks

Do show pics if you have them.

very large thumbs up. Was it just a vacation?
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Very cool trip!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

that is some good saddle time!

You are frigging lucky that the guards didn't trump up a charge to arrest you and keep the car. I live in San Diego and it is common wisdom here that the police there are very corrupt. My husband took our wrangler there once and almost lost it to the police.

One stolen San Diego Suburban was spotted on the evening news in its new role as a Tijuana police vehicle--Identified by the former owners by the unique do-da still hanging from the rear view mirror. Our next door neighbor had three attempts of people trying to steal his suburban to take it across the border. One time they got his suv all the way to border but the police were in pursuit so they dumped it right before the crossing. This was back before SUV were ubiquitous.

A person I know who is a body builder was kidnapped by the Tijuana police from an atm machine and driven around for 12 hours in their back seat as they tried to get his PIN number from him.

All that said, I feel safer in Mexico than I do in LA but we make a point of taking our least desirable car across the border.

I take it that you didn't experience any "pay on the spot" tickets.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    You are frigging lucky that the guards didn't trump up a charge to arrest you and keep the car. I live in San Diego and it is common wisdom here that the police there are very corrupt. My husband took our wrangler there once and almost lost it to the police. ... All that said, I feel safer in Mexico than I do in LA but we make a point of taking our least desirable car across the border.
    Tijuana is not representative of Mexico as a whole. The border towns are notoriously bad (Tijuana, Juarez, Nogales), but the interior is not as bad. Wonderful people and a beautiful country. My wife is from a very rural area of Mexico, and we have never had any problems other than being stopped by Federales doing random drug/weapons searches. Never stolen anything.

Just using a little common sense (just like in the US) can go a long way toward protecting yourself and your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Guapo
    Tijuana is not representative of Mexico as a whole. The border towns are notoriously bad (Tijuana, Juarez, Nogales), but the interior is not as bad. Wonderful people and a beautiful country. My wife is from a very rural area of Mexico, and we have never had any problems other than being stopped by Federales doing random drug/weapons searches. Never stolen anything.

Just using a little common sense (just like in the US) can go a long way toward protecting yourself and your property.

In general I agree but have known lots of people who have had trouble driving to Ensenada. And Mexico doesn't have anything on the US in terms of corrupt cops--look at New Oreleans. Not trying to bag on the whole country.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

and here was me thinking that 1100 kms plus a drivinr training day plus a visit to my mums house betwwen 3 am saturday morning and about 7 pm on a sunday night was !

My dream is still to rent a campervan and drive thru Australia for some months.
    But what about the Australians ?
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast