GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Different doors?

Default Different doors?

does anyone know what the difference is between E34 doors? RealOem shows one part number up to 9/91 production, and a different number for after 9/91 (this is for rear doors, not sure about fronts....).

They look the same to me, and I'm pretty sure they interchange without any trouble, but why are they different????

Bret.

Bret, to my knowledge, it's to accomodate the newer style lock actuator. I know the door harness is different, and I've seen the newer actuators but can't remember if the mounting points are the same.

Best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Bret, to my knowledge, it's to accomodate the newer style lock actuator. I know the door harness is different, and I've seen the newer actuators but can't remember if the mounting points are the same.
    The harness is pretty much the same, only the connector at the door lock end is different. I figured that out when I retrofitted rear electric window lifters to my 10/91 car with the lifters/harness from an early '90 car. I simply swapped the connectors at the end of the harness and that was it, everything else worked.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

Best, whit
    Whit + Interceptor-

thanks for the replies. The only thing I could think of was the door lock actuator being different, but is that even included with a new BMW door?? I have never bought one, or seen one, but I always assumed it would be the bare door shell, and that one would have to swap over the wiring, actuator, glass, and all the door trim, etc to the new shell....maybe it's more complete than just a shell???

The window regulator is riveted to the door shell, so maybe all that stuff comes with it???? I seem to remember the realoem.com price listed was ~$600 for the early door- which seems like it would be shell only.......

Bret.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster
    The window regulator is riveted to the door shell, so maybe all that stuff comes with it???? I seem to remember the realoem.com price listed was ~$600 for the early door- which seems like it would be shell only.......
    It's the shell only. Stry, when I did the retrofit, my old mechanic window lifters were also riveted to the door shell.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

The rivets have to be drilled out and replaced with bolts and nuts. TIS details this in the regulator replacement procedure; I did one on an M5 a few weeks ago.

Best, whit