GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: drivers wheel moves backward in the wheel well

Default drivers wheel moves backward in the wheel well

hey all, been a while....

so today I hear this noise as I tap on the breaks... sounds like its coming from the drivers front wheel area.... at my buddies house, I have him watch the wheel as I drive down his driveway and tap on the brakes.... he says it looks like the wheel shifts back in the wheel well....

I have had for quite some time a clunk noise when I drive over large bumps, or ruts in the road...

I'm thinking control arm?? I'm only slightly worried that the wheel might move farther back in the wheel well... but not too worried... I got up under there and a first look, nothing is hanging loose..

thoughts?
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    hey all, been a while....

so today I hear this noise as I tap on the breaks... sounds like its coming from the drivers front wheel area.... at my buddies house, I have him watch the wheel as I drive down his driveway and tap on the brakes.... he says it looks like the wheel shifts back in the wheel well....

I have had for quite some time a clunk noise when I drive over large bumps, or ruts in the road...

I'm thinking control arm?? I'm only slightly worried that the wheel might move farther back in the wheel well... but not too worried... I got up under there and a first look, nothing is hanging loose..

thoughts?
    T.A.B.!!
    Thrust arm bushes
    These are a common issue with the E34 and, if worn, will cause the fore and aft movement you described.
    Worn bushes also cause a shimmy at around 60-65mph worsened by applying the brakes at the same speed.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

the thrust arm bushing is shot, that's where the movement/noise is coming from
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default If it goes back that far then...

...check the ball joint as well.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the thrust arm bushing is shot, that's where the movement/noise is coming from

My son just did the thrust arm replacement on Wednesday for the Touring. It's like driving a new car! No brake shutter and no shimmy. If you replace the bushings get the 750 ones, I got them from BMA already pressed into new arms.

Curt.
    Curt.

1994 530iT (gone but not forgotten since I see it every day!)
    1991 M5

thrust arms you say.... pricey?? and the car is safe to drive at city speeds until I get the repair?

Default I had 50-60mm movement in mine...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJCaputo
    thrust arms you say.... pricey?? and the car is safe to drive at city speeds until I get the repair?
    and had the ball joints and thrust arm bushes replaced here in Oz, car now is steady as a rock at any speed. My mechanic said it was normal wear given that my car had done around 220,000km Cost me around $700 all up

Quote Originally Posted by Mewsy
    and had the ball joints and thrust arm bushes replaced here in Oz, car now is steady as a rock at any speed. My mechanic said it was normal wear given that my car had done around 220,000km Cost me around $700 all up

$700 just for the T.A.B.'s????

anyways, my wheel moved foward and aft as you describe when my bushings were bad. New ones tightened it right back up. Its kind of scary to see it move back so much isnt it.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    anyways, my wheel moved foward and aft as you describe when my bushings were bad. New ones tightened it right back up. Its kind of scary to see it move back so much isnt it.
    I didn't actually see them, but I can picture it in my head... and what I'm picturing is probably worse then what it really is....

calling the dealer now to get a price.... I'd rather order from BMA, but then I can't take care of it this weekend...

---EDIT---

why do I even give the dealer a chance.... they didn't have the 750 bushings in... and they wanted more than twice what BMA has listed on their web page for the upper control (thrust) arms...

looks like I'll be limping around for a few days until the parts come in.
    Last edited by PhilipJCaputo; 10-15-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Anderson
    My son just did the thrust arm replacement on Wednesday for the Touring. It's like driving a new car! No brake shutter and no shimmy. If you replace the bushings get the 750 ones, I got them from BMA already pressed into new arms.

Curt.
    The 750 bushing being stiffer than the regular one:
    - is the change noticeble on the ride ?
    - certainly recommanded to change both bushing (left and right) à the same time, will the handling of the car be acceptable is only the one on the defectgice trust arm is change ?