GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a used 535i flywheel worth anything?

TC535i Guest

Default Is a used 535i flywheel worth anything?

Swapped my fly and clutch out for the E28 parts, made a nice difference. MUCH less rattle when the car's running, and no more scared looks from the passengers when I shut the car off!

Just wondering, is my old flywheel worth anything? MAN, that thing was heavy. Huge difference compared to the E28 fly that went in (resurfaced, so even a bit lighter than stock E28)

twin mass? boat anchor, 200 yard rifle target, 100 yard pistol target, manhole cover, somesort of demolition device.......
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Good thinking Winfred. I need a ballistic target for the SKS

Tim, I will take it off your hands free of charge. I will even let you shoot it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    twin mass? boat anchor, 200 yard rifle target, 100 yard pistol target, manhole cover, somesort of demolition device.......

I sold mine on ebay with the old pressure plate for like $50. Beats throwing it in a dump.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

What's the disadvantage of those newer AL flywheels over the stock dual-mass ones? I know the stock isn't the best one around, but I'm sure BMW placed it there for a reason... what are the advantages of stock over l/w?

the weight helps make it women friendly, the dampning sorta quiets the gear box. they took the take up springs out of the clutch disk and put them in the flywheel, and when they wear out the flywheel rattles like a diesel engine at idle
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

So would those new AL flywheels make the car rattle like a diesel at idle as well?

i was crapping on the twin mass flywheel

Default as winfred said basically....

The stock unit's 33lbs (on a 5 speed) and stores a boatload of energy. Helps low end torque and smoooooth shifting. A lighter unit will allow the engine to rev marginally faster both engaged and in neutral.

I have the 22 lbs E28 setup and Martin has 15 lb lightened E28 setup. The engines have better throttle "blip" response for downshift rev matching. I don't think they are really any faster accel wise.

I think the best reason to put in an E28 setup is cause the flywheels are mucho cheaper than a replacement dual mass. They can be resurfaced as well. If you are a real performance geek and want to have faster rev matching during downshifts, might put one in. Other than that, not much to talk about.

Jeff
    90 535i, E28 flywheel and clutch setup

Quote Originally Posted by jplacson
    What's the disadvantage of those newer AL flywheels over the stock dual-mass ones? I know the stock isn't the best one around, but I'm sure BMW placed it there for a reason... what are the advantages of stock over l/w?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I wonder if anyone here has tried a lightweight flywheel. I was talking to a friend of mine about them who goes nuts upgrading his cars (his 50k+ worth in upgrades E30 was stolen, now working on a 993 GT2 with even more cash). He said lightweight flywheels force you to learn how to drive manual all over again. He stalled it several times until he learned how to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    The stock unit's 33lbs (on a 5 speed) and stores a boatload of energy. Helps low end torque and smoooooth shifting. A lighter unit will allow the engine to rev marginally faster both engaged and in neutral.

I have the 22 lbs E28 setup and Martin has 15 lb lightened E28 setup. The engines have better throttle "blip" response for downshift rev matching. I don't think they are really any faster accel wise.

I think the best reason to put in an E28 setup is cause the flywheels are mucho cheaper than a replacement dual mass. They can be resurfaced as well. If you are a real performance geek and want to have faster rev matching during downshifts, might put one in. Other than that, not much to talk about.

Jeff
    90 535i, E28 flywheel and clutch setup

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast