GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Does anyone know how to get the seatbelts out?

Default Does anyone know how to get the seatbelts out?

I am going to steam clean the carpets in my car this weekend. Last night I undid the bolts (with the proper bit) holding the front seats in. Then I removed the seat belt tensioner wire, tilted the seat forward and removed it from it's front clips. Then I noticed that all would be okay except for the fact that I could not get the seatbelt undone from the seat. How does one remove the front belts from the seats? Is it in the pillar or under the plastic trim at the seat. I looked behind the seat plastic and could not see a nut to unscrew. Solutions? I guees I could always just place the seats outside the vehicle and let them sit on the gararge floor while doing the cleaning.

Have a look at the online spare parts catalog ETK), detailed drawing there.

Default I looked at that on RealOEM.com but...

...it shows a Torx behind the seat attachment point. I can see that in there but I cannot figure out how to get a Torx in there to undo it. I don't want to start undoing the pillar trim for this. Anyone done this before that could offer some advice?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Have a look at the online spare parts catalog ETK), detailed drawing there.

Here's a picture:

That's the pass side. After undoing the bolt, slide the belt strap and metal end past the outer cover and lower cushion.

best, whit

Default Thanks - excellent!

This will help a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Here's a picture:

That's the pass side. After undoing the bolt, slide the belt strap and metal end past the outer cover and lower cushion.

best, whit

Default You forgot one thing Lowell.

Took me a few minutes to figure out that the seat had to be in the highest position to remove the bolt. Thanks though. Now the carpets look quite clean-not new but definitely better. $19.95 for a cleaner from Dominicks so I did the wife's V70 wagon as well. This was a major improvement over the previous condition of all our carpets.

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i
    This will help a great deal!

Haha. That's what the picture's for It shows the seat raised to the highest point

I mean, if you really want to get technical about it -- the flex head ratchet probably isn't the wisest tool to use, and it's set to "on", not "off" for removal of the torx bolt, and (the worst offender of them all in that picture) -- the seat shown could never have showed up from the factory in an E34 535, but it bolts in the same way.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 10-16-2005 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black 535i
    Took me a few minutes to figure out that the seat had to be in the highest position to remove the bolt. Thanks though. Now the carpets look quite clean-not new but definitely better. $19.95 for a cleaner from Dominicks so I did the wife's V70 wagon as well. This was a major improvement over the previous condition of all our carpets.
    I need to clean my carpets. I've got coolant stains from my leaking heater core (Which is currently bypassed).

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I need to clean my carpets. I've got coolant stains from my leaking heater core (Which is currently bypassed).
    I think I'll probably do it at the same time as I fix the heater core and probably need to remove the seats.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default You'll be surprised what you may find under there!

I found some coin, toothpicks and a screwdriver as well.

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I think I'll probably do it at the same time as I fix the heater core and probably need to remove the seats.