GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: battery drain data for individul components

Default battery drain data for individul components

I collected from various board representative data for battery drain.
    I hope this might help you for checking:

Since practically every hollow space within an 8/7/5 is host to a control unit, many with memory and sensors, it is no wonder the E31/32/34 has such a high resting current drain. About 1 amp/hour drain about every 20 hours. Here's the figures:
    With the trunk/luggage compartment lights off:
    1.) Driver's door open: 4.8 - 5.0 Amps
    2.) Driver's door closed: 4.1 Amps for 20 seconds then reduced to approx. 450-470mA for next 16 mins. then reduced to approx. 50mA
    With the trunk/luggage compartment lights on:
    1.) Driver's door open approx. 6.1-6.4 Amps
    2.) Driver's door closed--approx. 5.9-6.1 Amps for 20 seconds, then reduced to approx. 2.5 Amps for the next 16 mins, then reduced to approx. 50mA

And here I copied once good one from Javier

Finding a short? - for beginners

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/91536/

Good info! Thanks Shogun (& Javier).

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by shogun

Since practically every hollow space within an 8/7/5 is host to a control unit, many with memory and sensors, it is no wonder the E31/32/34 has such a high resting current drain. About 1 amp/hour drain about every 20 hours. Here's the figures:
    2.) Driver's door closed: 4.1 Amps for 20 seconds then reduced to approx. 450-470mA for next 16 mins. then reduced to approx. 50mA
    2.) Driver's door closed--approx. 5.9-6.1 Amps for 20 seconds, then reduced to approx. 2.5 Amps for the next 16 mins, then reduced to approx. 50mA

NICE INFO, could you give us the normal current drain (how many amp. / hr) when the car stand still (doors locked, no alarm system, everything off), it is certainly a bit different from car to car but on average the E34 should have similar figures. My car is a E34-89.

I suspect that this drain is relatively high because last winter (very cold weather here in eastern Canada) i found out a dead battery after the car being at rest for 2 weeks.

Claude

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    NICE INFO, could you give us the normal current drain (how many amp. / hr) when the car stand still (doors locked, no alarm system, everything off), it is certainly a bit different from car to car but on average the E34 should have similar figures. My car is a E34-89.

I suspect that this drain is relatively high because last winter (very cold weather here in eastern Canada) i found out a dead battery after the car being at rest for 2 weeks.

Claude

my e30 reads so low i can see the power spike that the led on the radio makes when it flashes, 30-40 ma is a good general number for most cars
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Big Ups from a novice......

Like myself, Thank you Javier and SHOGUN !! I have been looking for this basic info for about two or so hours....and you know what I been stumped at the readings, because I have been testing incorrectly... now back to out garage

Quote Originally Posted by shogun

1989 525i Ghostly Grey

.... uuuum

what?

how is it physically possible for opening the door to drain 5 amps if all the lights are off?!??!?!?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

it activates more then just the lights, lotsa weird things going on that most drivers don't notice, like how you can park shut the engine off and remove the key but until you open a door the windows/sunroof remain powered, once you open a door they power down, kinda cool so you can close up if you forget unless you have a women in the car, and then the door is open before the car stops moving regardless if she is going to be several more minutes ****ing around with_______ before departing the car

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    .... uuuum

what?

how is it physically possible for opening the door to drain 5 amps if all the lights are off?!??!?!?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

yeah, but that 5A listing is AFTER the door is opened, so those relays shut off already. and also that would only seem like a feasible current draw if all those motors were operating simultaneously!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

theres no telling what all kinda of **** is supposed to start up when the door is opened, not all of it hits the same on every car either from experience in tracking draws on different cars, if i spent enough time with some wiring diagrams i could figure out what's drawing that but it's not worth it, the newer the car the bigger pain in the ass to track with all of the weird body modules they are going to, e32/34s are not all that bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast