GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: power steering lines

Default power steering lines

My lines are weeping/leaking a bit and I would like to replace, any one have any experience with theis repair?
    [COLOR=Blue]95 540i/a schwarz with wheels and tint garaged in OR SOLD
    98 volvoXC three kid seats...makes it go faster

[COLOR="Purple"]95 520i/5sp 130k km Executive. no sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyturbo2002
    My lines are weeping/leaking a bit and I would like to replace, any one have any experience with theis repair?
    Do a search. This topic was discussed earlier this week or last week.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

it's not as bad as changing the steering box. A little weeping isnt bad, if you get drip marks replace them.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default They are a real pain in the a$$

You'll find it easier if you just plan on removing the power steering pump and alternator from the beginning. The steering box heat shield must also be removed after you remove the other undercar panels and left side exhaust heat shield. Plan on doing ALL of the hoses while you're at it, because if one isn't leaking when you replace one or two (especially the high pressure hoses), the remaining ones will start to leak as the pressure is transmitted to the old hoses more fully due to the lack of expansion of the new hoses.
    I replaced ALL of my hoses only to find this "transferred pressure" causing leaking in two short hoses, each about 2 inches long, that are underneath the brake booster/master cylinder at the front of the car that connect some metal tubes to the steering fluid cooling coil in front of the radiator. Replacement of these two short hoses required removal of the brake booster to enable adequate access. I also replaced the power steering fluid reservoir while I was at it. Be careful to disconnect the battery before trying to remove the heavy power cable attached to the alternator. Loosen but don't fully remove the oil filter cannister to improve access. I replaced the oil return line into the oil pan while I was there also. It is mostly metal with a short section of rubber hose in the middle. Don't forget new sealing washers and clamps for the power steering and oil return lines.
    Good luck, and consider investing in a set of "shorty" metric wrenches.