GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admin rights needed for ETK/TIS install....?

Default Admin rights needed for ETK/TIS install....?

Title says it all.
    New locked down PC at work, IT Nazi's monitoring all activity. Parking Nazi's won't let us back into parking spaces. The world will surely end soon. Anyone know if I need Admin rights to install ETK/TIS?

Thanks,
    Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

You didn't say much about what O/S you're using, but generally speaking, IT departments that "lock things down" assign user privileges that don't include installation or execution of programs that are not on an approved list. Unless you want to get into cracking the admin password, which for the Windows family is possible if you look in the right places for the utility, you probably won't be able to install or run unauthorized software. BTW, cracking a password will get you immediately terminated at most places.

So how come you can't get into your parking spaces? Another phony "terror" alert?

XP Pro. We're considered Power Users and can install software that doesn't change the registry, I believe. I suspect ETK/TIS isn't in this category, but haven't tried to install it yet. Thought someone here might know.

Sorry, I'm not always clear when I'm in rant mode. The Parking Nazi's, 1st cousins of the IT Nazi's, insist that we drive forward into our parking spaces. This of course requires us to back out of the space when we leave. Many of us early arrival types prefer to pull through to the forward most space so we don't have to back out when we leave. This is considered dangerous because it requires us to go against the normal flow of traffic in the approach to the space when we leave.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by SRR2
    You didn't say much about what O/S you're using, but generally speaking, IT departments that "lock things down" assign user privileges that don't include installation or execution of programs that are not on an approved list. Unless you want to get into cracking the admin password, which for the Windows family is possible if you look in the right places for the utility, you probably won't be able to install or run unauthorized software. BTW, cracking a password will get you immediately terminated at most places.

So how come you can't get into your parking spaces? Another phony "terror" alert?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    XP Pro. We're considered Power Users and can install software that doesn't change the registry, I believe. I suspect ETK/TIS isn't in this category, but haven't tried to install it yet. Thought someone here might know.

Sorry, I'm not always clear when I'm in rant mode. The Parking Nazi's, 1st cousins of the IT Nazi's, insist that we drive forward into our parking spaces. This of course requires us to back out of the space when we leave. Many of us early arrival types prefer to pull through to the forward most space so we don't have to back out when we leave. This is considered dangerous because it requires us to go against the normal flow of traffic in the approach to the space when we leave.

Paul Shovestul
    It does indeed modify the registry (quite a bit actually.) If you've got no access to that, you're out of luck for now. You could use www.realoem.com though

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

my experience with the ETK/TIS install was that the program is relatively HUGE, it will modify the registry too even if you chose to run the major files from disk.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

if you need I can email you the install directions if you dont have them. I had problems from not installing them in a certain order til I got these directions.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if you need I can email you the install directions if you dont have them. I had problems from not installing them in a certain order til I got these directions.
    Jeff.. I would be intrested in them...

Thanks

Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

Jeff is that for the Java or Non-Java version?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

my experience with the ETK/TIS install was that the program is relatively HUGE, it will modify the registry too even if you chose to run the major files from disk.
    What version of the ETK are you using?

I have ETK discs from 7/2005 (direct from BMW); there's no choice to run from disc (though the underlying DB would let you, were you to change some settings.)

It will certainly modify the registry (even assuming you have a 'run from disc' mode), because it stores the database name, database user account name, drive path and application versions (and a bunch more), even on the latest version of the install.

I've extracted all the data from the ETK and have my own UNIX front end for it, and the data itself is well over a Gigabyte (almost 10 million records). Interesting stuff, but only for us geeks

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

Too bad.
    Realoem is handy, and I'll likely have to use it at work, but it's handicapped compared to the ETK, which lets you see which other models use the same PN. Really handy for finding used parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    It does indeed modify the registry (quite a bit actually.) If you've got no access to that, you're out of luck for now. You could use www.realoem.com though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast