GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Antenna Amp Location

Default Antenna Amp Location

First some back round info.

When I bought my touring the reception sucked. I checked to amp to make sure it was getting power, and it was. My next idea was to put in a new head unit. The reception improved a small amount but overall it is still not acceptable.

I ended up having a problem with the HU in my 525i sedan also. I installed the OEM one from the touring and it works great. I can pull in stations in the sedan that I would never dream of in the touring. Back to square one.

So where is the antenna amp in the sedan located? I spent a few min poking around and didn't see it anywhere obvious. Before I spend $100 on a new part I want to swap them out to see if that is the problem.

Anyone used an aftermarket booster that works? Do the tourings just get bad reception?

Just to try and answer some questions before they come. If I disconnect the power or antenna wire from the amp in the touring the reception goes to nothing. Because of that, I know it works. Just not as well I it could

-Steve
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

You'll have to look it up in realoem for your sedan.

In the 540, it's located here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...63&hg=65&fg=30

It could be the same location.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Default Its right here, behind that trim panel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N
    First some back round info.

When I bought my touring the reception sucked. I checked to amp to make sure it was getting power, and it was. My next idea was to put in a new head unit. The reception improved a small amount but overall it is still not acceptable.

I ended up having a problem with the HU in my 525i sedan also. I installed the OEM one from the touring and it works great. I can pull in stations in the sedan that I would never dream of in the touring. Back to square one.

So where is the antenna amp in the sedan located? I spent a few min poking around and didn't see it anywhere obvious. Before I spend $100 on a new part I want to swap them out to see if that is the problem.

Anyone used an aftermarket booster that works? Do the tourings just get bad reception?

Just to try and answer some questions before they come. If I disconnect the power or antenna wire from the amp in the touring the reception goes to nothing. Because of that, I know it works. Just not as well I it could

-Steve

Perfect. I guess I get at it from inside the car. I was looking behind the carpet in the trunk area.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve N
    Perfect. I guess I get at it from inside the car. I was looking behind the carpet in the trunk area.

Thanks.
    Be very careful taking that trim panel off. It's very easy to break the tabs. Remove the lights first to get a little access to the tabs and to be able to get your hand bekind the trim piece.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default IIRC on my '93 anyway... the white wire is ant amp power...

... or needs power from the head unit... mine wasn't connected to aftermarket H/U and poor reception, connected and much better.... HOWEVER, check wiring diagram for what the white wire does in bentleys and you'll maybe get better reception...., Rob.

I did check that and it has power. Thanks for the heads up.
    Steve
    1989 M3
    1995 525i 5sp
    1993 525iT

Is that rear window (or any others on the car, for that matter) tinted?

Best, whit