GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Att: shogun and anyone else interested in LKM

Default Att: shogun and anyone else interested in LKM

so dude.. i went to my mechanic and he had a spare lkm sitting around so i plugged it in .. and yea it turns out to be the lkm that is causing my light to not function..

he wanted 220 CAN for it.. what a joke. a new one is something close to that..

anyway.. so i thought i had re-soldered it all properly but i guess what i will have to do is strip all the re-soldered stuff off ( i had done the intermittent lkm fix last year) and just re-do it all.. hopefully that will work

one question.. is it plausible that using a higher wattage bulb could burn out the lkm?

anyway.. so to anyone who suffers one low-beam not working (as opposed to the common intermittent symptom) it would be worth it to check the lkm out ..

-inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Higher wattage bulb would likely burn the wiring. I haven't heard of anyone that burned out the LKM with a higher wattage bulb, but there's always a chance.

In addition to soldering ( or stripping & resoldering) the LKMs PC, check for continuity through the closed points position of the mini-relays ( whose PC contacts are ~ 90% of the problem anyway). When I first did one, the fog light relay had a burned contact that required careful cleaning to restore the circuit path.

you know what's interesting.. i was looking at the lkm relative to the picture in bmwe34.net:

and i don't have the second relay from the left. i have the far left one and the two on the right side..

?!?

i am pretty stumped.. i did a solid soldering job.. oh well here goes
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation
    so dude.. i went to my mechanic and he had a spare lkm sitting around so i plugged it in .. and yea it turns out to be the lkm that is causing my light to not function..

anyway.. so i thought i had re-soldered it all properly but i guess what i will have to do is strip all the re-soldered stuff off ( i had done the intermittent lkm fix last year) and just re-do it all.. hopefully that will work

one question.. is it plausible that using a higher wattage bulb could burn out the lkm?

anyway.. so to anyone who suffers one low-beam not working (as opposed to the common intermittent symptom) it would be worth it to check the lkm out ..

The LKM soldering job plus a new bulb solved my problem.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

OT: but is there anywhere i can read up on soldering stuff correctly?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720

Second that question.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default Yes using a higher wattage bulb will eventually damage the lkm , its

well documented...alot of the guys that were running high wattage bulbs were torching the lkm's

Quote Originally Posted by Incantation

Default take a class at a community college... they always have soldering classes for

sweatshop jobs in electronic assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    well documented...alot of the guys that were running high wattage bulbs were torching the lkm's

bill, when you say "high wattage", do you mean 9005 (65w) bulbs or significantly higher? i've never heard of such a problem, but if it is, ill just substitute xtravisions in for my 55 watt lights.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast