GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, i found some leaks....

Default So, i found some leaks....need some help.

1) coolant leak...any idea where it could be coming from? There is also a leak coming out of the connection from those two hoses you can see in the picture (toward the radiator side)...i have no clue what those are.

2)some kind of leak around the bell housing...

could it be caused by maybe a leaky oil pan gasket?

i dont think the seals will like the m1 0w40 i just put in today. Hopefully they hold up for at least 2 weeks, and hopefully ill pass the tech inspection for the CCC.

So, wudya guys think?

oh yea. my fan clutch is a-ok.
    Last edited by liquidtiger720; 10-10-2005 at 08:24 PM.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Josh, if you can get a pressure tester on the system, you'll probably be able to find that coolant leak ASAP. Use one that does about 2 bar (~ 30psi).

Those are the auto tranny cooler lines. There should be O rings at the "screw box" that mates the cooler to the lines. Pretty easy fix if the lines themselves and the cooler itself are okay.

Bellhousing drip could be anything -- oil thrown back from the leak by the pan or a leak in the rear main. Rule out the rear main by looking up into the bellhousing -- there should be other evidence. Take a few more wider shots of the pan itself.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Josh, if you can get a pressure tester on the system, you'll probably be able to find that coolant leak ASAP. Use one that does about 2 bar (~ 30psi).

Those are the auto tranny cooler lines. There should be O rings at the "screw box" that mates the cooler to the lines. Pretty easy fix if the lines themselves and the cooler itself are okay.

Bellhousing drip could be anything -- oil thrown back from the leak by the pan or a leak in the rear main. Rule out the rear main by looking up into the bellhousing -- there should be other evidence. Take a few more wider shots of the pan itself.

best, whit

Thanks for replying whit.

Do you happen to know where that screw box would show up in the bentley? I looked, and couldn't seem to find it. I figure i should know whats behind there before I start tearing it apart.

What other kind of evidence shoud i look for in the bell housing?

Yes, im a noob...and desperate. I can't afford these repairs much longer. Thanks again whit.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Whit, I am going to attempt to change those o-rings for the tranny cooler today...should I expect tranny fluid to come out? oil?

BTW. the leak from the front end looks brown/red...i have a feeling its a ps fluid hoses.

www.KaRealtySF.com

i had the same problem. oil tranny cooler was bad. just got it replaced a month or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shragon
    i had the same problem. oil tranny cooler was bad. just got it replaced a month or so ago.
    how much did that cost?

www.KaRealtySF.com

Josh: brown/red could be anything, or a mixture of things. Smell, viscosity tell a lot. But I think it'd be wise to fix what is verifiably wrong before speculative repairs begin.

One thing to do is remove the VC/fan, pop off the radiator clips and push the top of the rad away from the core support to get a good look at the coolers. If they're leaking enough down at the bottom, you'll be able to easily identify it with a quick look.

Yes, some trans fluid will empty out of the cooler and lines. It shouldn't be significant enough to merit checking the level, but you might want to get the ends of the lines as high up in the air "above" the trans as possible while they're not connected to preserve what fluid is in them. You might want to wait on replacing the O rings until you've had a look at the cooler itself, just to be certain that what's on there isn't residual.

When you're done replacing any kind of leak related part, clean the entire area (brake cleaner) and make sure it's dry. Take the car for a good drive and then check to see if the leak was fixed. It's vital to clean all visible fluid prior to driving -- I've chased phantom leaks on M50s that were nothing more than my ineptitude at cleaning all of the nooks and crannies after fixing a legitimate problem.

best, whit

Hehe. well..some fliud did come out...maybe 1-2oz at most. I cleaned the immediate surrounding areas and will check it out tommorow after my commute.

I was glad to see the fluid was a bright red and very clean.

I hope I am not low on fluid now...and I def. need a oil pan gasket.

www.KaRealtySF.com

Here are some pictures from today

Whit. Im concerned....that the whole cooler is actually leaking.

Oil pan.

and the mess i made.

www.KaRealtySF.com

Josh, the first pic is the condensor. It looks normal, if not clean -- no rust

The pan is actually quite clean, as well. You could probably just drive around with it for now, maybe bump up the viscosity of the oil you're using and see if that helps cure some of the seeping. It's a BIG job for a DIY without many tools. I don't know how others do it, but I did one two weeks ago and the engine brace was used/subframe was dropped. Resist the urge to tighten the pan bolts unless you have a torque wrench. I think the spec is ~ 90 in # or something like that. Overdoing them will bend the lip of the pan and it will leak even more.

best, whit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast