GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: some questions about recently purchased 540i-6

Hello G,

Shoot, it's dark now - I was ready to take the ECU out and see what sort of chip I might have. I've looked at the E.A.T. site before and just looked again. If I do have an aftermarket chip I can get a discount on a new E.A.T. chip. Sounds like a plan.

I'm in Charlottesville, VA, US

BTW, I'm really liking this forum - what a great resource. Everything I ever wanted to know about E34s but didn't know where to ask

Regards,
    Marty

Tiger, thanks for the info,

1) that's my plan now
    2) how does one adjust the clutch? I was thinking since it's hydraulic there isn't much more than pedal height to adjust.
    3) I have checked, and replaced, the belts. Tension 'seems' ok but can't say whether its correct or not. I hope when they were replaced the tensioners, etc were determined to be working properly.
    Once when it had that lovely smell I was all around the car sniffing and feeling the belts, etc. They weren't hot and smell wasn't coming from there. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from topside which probably adds more impetus to the clutch theory.
    4) water pump/thermostat housing were replaced by PO. I'll snoop around to see if I can find any evidence of coolant.
    5) Will do, I think I'll try Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
    6) Just to clarify I tightened the spline/u-joint nut in the cabin, not the steering box adjuster. Do you think that would be affected by cold temperature - it doesn't exhibit the behaviour when temp over 35-ish F.

Nonetheless I may have over-tightened the nut since it's sort of a iterative process with no way I've seen to know the proper tightness. I used a 6" pair of channel locks on the nut and tightened it by holding nut and turning steering wheel. I figure I can't get it over tight that way - but not sure. I didn't feel any binding, noise, etc after tightening it - but it was warm.
    There's some possibillity that the wrong oil may be in the system - from either PO or shop. I'll try loosening the nut and/or flushing the system.

Regards,
    Marty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12