GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 92 735 climate control

Default 92 735 climate control

Hello everyone,,, first I would like to say this is a fantastic board and it's my first post...

2 months ago I purchased my 92 735i. The first time I tried the heat or AC the air barely blew and you could hardly hear the fan and it never varied in speed and never blew hard even on high. After I turned it off it never came back on again and I tried many times... Well until today... it was 59* out and I thought what the heck... I tried and it kicked right on... The blower worked great at any speed.. All vents worked... Heat worked and the temp varied as I turned the control... All worked... Until... I turned it back off... Now nothing again... I am thinking it's the climate control switch. What does still work are the vents I can hear them open and close when I turn it on.

What do you think?

Thanks for your imput!

Default here is the crash course on IHKA

First of all, change the microfilter inside the car. That is probably stuck and has been change a looong long time ago.
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/54597
    All components and functions
    http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/johan/ihka/ihka.html

Here you can see also some of the other possible proiblem areas such as the IHKA control module, the socalled sword, the IHKA control module.

The fan blower is located in front of the heaterbox. It's speed is controlled by the so called sword. The sword is located inbetween the evaperator and the control unit. Erratic fan behaviour is often caused by the sword.

But first start the easy things: replace microfilter, use electronic contact spray on the switches of the control panel (can be disassembled also, deneding on skill), the connectors behind the control panel, the connectors on each side of the control module, driver and pass side.
    Sword repair:
    http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...ical/Sword.htm
    http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...1020502&page=4
    Bookmark my website below and this is also included there
    http://www.e38.org/e32/

Fantastic,,,

I will start with Cleaning the contacts of the control panel...

Could it be that when the blower came on and all the switches and contols worked that it could just be the blower and it was stuck and brushes worn out? Can I reach the fan to knock on it to see if it will move?

If that doesn't do it... Since these parts are next to each other I will start with the Microfilter since I am sure it needs changing then I will replace the Sword since it is a problematic part anyway... Next would be the IHKA control module (Control Module and Control Unit is the same thing isn't it?).

Where would be the best place to purchase these parts?

Thanks!
    I really appreciate your time and knowledge...

Default no need to buy new parts

Usually the E34 parts fit also on the E32. There are some people here on the board which have some E34 parts cars.
    Look for the name Rigmaster in the search and send him a private message (PM), see on top of this page.
    These parts are very expensive and there also also BMW online vendors. Here is a list
    http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/bmwvendors/
    I usually by from Autohaus Arizona (Nr. 3 on the list), other from different sources. It is worthwhile to check several, as prices are changing and sometimes there are special offers. There are also used parts shops on the list like Vines.
    If the heater/blower fan is defective (brushes), see Gale's page on my website (link) or here direct link
    http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_2.htm

Edit:
    PS: Rigmaster = Bret Luter

email: bretluter@hotmail.com
    Last edited by shogun; 10-10-2005 at 10:10 AM.

After looking up new prices I can quickly see it can get expensive to guess.

Is there a way to test the Sword and Blower before I swap them out for new? I will mention this.. When the blower did work I thought it was loud and I am not sure if that is normal for that year...

I've seen used parts on ebay but the lower price to me doesn't justify the headache of that old part failing just like mine has and fixing it again since they aren't easy to reach...

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks Shogun for your help...

Alright I finally got around to this before winter kicked in... After the blower kicking on several times when I would start the car and when it was on the switch would control the speed with no problem I figured it was the blower motor... I figured the vibration of the car starting would move the fan just enough to get it started... Also the fan was loud which told me it was worn out...

So just so happen my next door neibor has a junk e34... I took out his fan... Took everything off of my car to get to the fan... I turned my key... no fan... touched the fan... and on it came... did that several times and each time when I turned off the car it wouldn't come back on until I barely touched it... So I put in the replacement fan and instantly it worked... and works great and it's quiet...

The only hard part about this job is the fact that BMW put in some lousy screws with too small of a head to get the socket on it... had a hell of a time with them... some I had to use needle nose pliers... if you can stand that frustration it's an easy job and I hate to work on cars... I have read that pulling the fan out is tough and tight but I found it to be easy... just don't be afraid to move the wires out of your way and you'll have plenty of room...If the screws would have come out like they should have then I could have done the job in under 1 hr... and I am slow...

Tomorrow I will be putting in a new drivers seat that I got on ebay for only $50... in great shape...what a steal wish me luck cause I have no clue on how to do it and I can't find any directions on here to do it...
    Last edited by Visions; 11-19-2005 at 03:50 PM.

To change the seat is very easy. Just remove the headrest (drive the motor up for the headrest, then just pull the headrest out). 2 bolts 7/16 at the rear, in front 2 hooks. That is all. Then some electric plugs depending on what you have on your seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Visions
    Hello everyone,,, first I would like to say this is a fantastic board and it's my first post...

2 months ago I purchased my 92 735i. The first time I tried the heat or AC the air barely blew and you could hardly hear the fan and it never varied in speed and never blew hard even on high. After I turned it off it never came back on again and I tried many times... Well until today... it was 59* out and I thought what the heck... I tried and it kicked right on... The blower worked great at any speed.. All vents worked... Heat worked and the temp varied as I turned the control... All worked... Until... I turned it back off... Now nothing again... I am thinking it's the climate control switch. What does still work are the vents I can hear them open and close when I turn it on.

What do you think?

Thanks for your imput!
    ----hmmm In your wallet the answer lies.

Quote Originally Posted by YODA 1
    ----hmmm In your wallet the answer lies.
    Yoda... don't make me come kick your ass again....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast