GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at a 1995 540i

Default Looking at a 1995 540i

I am interested in getting a 1995 540i. I looked at a car form a local dealer. I took the car to a local BMW dealer for the pre buy inspection. Things the dealer saw were:

Flex disk, I believe I can manage to replace this by myself.

Power Steering fluid leak. Looks like it is coming from the base of the power steering resevor. Shouldn't be to hard right?

Rough idle: could be many things. The recall for the block looks like it was done. Could the car just need a tune up?

Any ideas, or anything else I should look for? I have done lots of engine tear downs for toyota trucks and mr2's but never a BMW.

Also, the steering is a little vague. Just a little. It may be me though, my last car was an MR2 with all poly bushings.

my 540 also has PS leaks... common, lotsa labour to repair from what I was told. (it is a very high pressure system)
    Steering is also a little vague... common on old e34s, can be fixed to some degree... search for "steering column nut" that may help you out... others may have better input. (my 330xi is soooo much "tighter" than my 540 it is scary!
    Rough idle... could be PCV plate is bad... common on v8, but did idle get better after warmup or did it remain rough? look also for vaccuum leaks.
    If the nikasil was changed out, that eliminated the big problem.
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

i'm aboyt to do my flex and unis, i'll let u know how if u need. power streeing hoses are easy from the resivoir. check engine mounts and tranny mounts allthough they are easy as well if handy enough. Check hydro unit, comes off fire wall on back left handside at top. its a 2 piece sealed unit about 2 inches in diameter and 8 inches long. check with little mirron ona stick for leak under join at halfway. very
    rare for it to leak but 1500 to replace. mine is the only 0ne ive heard of leaking. Thats all I know about. plus radiator. from the topleft side look down to just under the hose at the top. there is a plastic plug just here,look for signs of leakage or seeping.

steering hoses are a total PITA to do with the V8, make sure you get at least a compression check done if not a leakdown to see where the engine is really at...the rest of the stuff isn't any biggie.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Well with these responses, I am going to go ahead and get the car. The mr2 I had was a true learning experience for me. Having more room in the engine bay to work is going to be nice.

What do you guys recommend for sparkplugs, etc. When I get the car I am going to do everything I can think of tune up wise. Including draining the transmission and refilling it.

Do autozone/Kragen parts work well or do I have to go to the stealer?

Also engine mounts and things. Can these be had anywhere else than the dealer? Are there any good repair manual's? I had a factory repair manual for the mr2 and it was great.

Duke, take it to a good indy before buying it; dealerships are all over the map, and I've got tons of stories about them and the typical clowns that work for them.

For one, the dealer should tell you *specifically* whether or not the block was replaced, no "maybes". Hell, I could tell you as an independent without even seeing the car, given that it was a warranty repair, and I don't work for a dealership!

http://www.iaibmvsp.org

In terms of a good technical reference, BUY a bentley manual.

And another two things: 1) we continually answer these types of questions, esp regarding spark plugs, and a lot of info can be found by doing a search, 2) buy good, OEM parts -- cheap parts are cheap, they break quickly and more money and time end up being spent. BMA -- http:/www.bmaparts.com -- is generally the board's favorite parts place. Call them, don't use the web site, and talk to Patrick. You'll get much better prices.

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 10-07-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNeverwinter
    I am interested in getting a 1995 540i. I looked at a car form a local dealer. I took the car to a local BMW dealer for the pre buy inspection. Things the dealer saw were:

Flex disk, I believe I can manage to replace this by myself.

Power Steering fluid leak. Looks like it is coming from the base of the power steering resevor. Shouldn't be to hard right?

Rough idle: could be many things. The recall for the block looks like it was done. Could the car just need a tune up?

Any ideas, or anything else I should look for? I have done lots of engine tear downs for toyota trucks and mr2's but never a BMW.
    How many miles on it?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

there are 125,700 on the car.

Duke,
    Sounds like you want to do an Inspection II.
    Start with Buno's famous site: www.bmwe34.net
    Get a copy of Bentley's.
    The rest you can dig up from this board's archives or current threads.
    Enjoy!
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast