GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, the avg. guy can certainly Install a chip.

Unregistered Guest

Default Yes, the avg. guy can certainly Install a chip.

I was going to wait for a professional to install my chip(EAT) but after posting on this board [Can the avg. guy install a chip w/o any problem?], I got a vote of confidence from the response that I could certainly do it with in 45 min. And it took about 40 min. because I was nervous like hell not to fry the computer. I think I can install the chip now in 10 min, it is especially E-Z in the 535IM[10 min. might be too long, serious]. The chip I had in there[the previous owner] said "Dinan Engineering performance chip"- this is not a stock chip? I always read the response from people who have installed the EAT chip and said to myself that my car has similiar performance, no flat area throughout the RPM range, and it felt strong in all the gears. But everyone was just raving about this EAT chip so I said I just have to get a hold of one. If the previous chip was a performance chip then Mark's chip is much better in first and second gear if you change at max. rpm. The gas mileage is just a shade better and it seems like your car need some time to fully acclimate to the chip[ I will monitor the performance over the next week and a half]. Keep in mind I just put the chip in less than 24 hrs, so the jury is still out. Over all the E.A.T chip eats up the Dinan Engineer chip in all category.
    Thanks Mark, and this is David the one whom you send the extra chip to- please get back to me so I know who you want me to mail it to.

Unregistered Guest

Default Dyno Curves (not sceptical just curious)

Does anyone have a Dyno chart (rpm vs hp/torque) comparing the stock, EAT, Conforti and Dinan chips on the same platform? It might be interesting to see the hard numbers vs a "qualitative feel" of the car. Thanks in advance.

While I saw a slight increase in top end over my ripoff RD chip on the 535, the most amazing gain was the low end torque. The flat spot was gone. The engine feels much more versatile (as if it wasn't before). I haven't tried his M5 chip (may eventually, if I'm not broke after the current ordeal), but the 535 chip is definitely the best out there.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I was going to wait for a professional to install my chip(EAT) but after posting on this board [Can the avg. guy install a chip w/o any problem?], I got a vote of confidence from the response that I could certainly do it with in 45 min. And it took about 40 min. because I was nervous like hell not to fry the computer. I think I can install the chip now in 10 min, it is especially E-Z in the 535IM[10 min. might be too long, serious]. The chip I had in there[the previous owner] said "Dinan Engineering performance chip"- this is not a stock chip? I always read the response from people who have installed the EAT chip and said to myself that my car has similiar performance, no flat area throughout the RPM range, and it felt strong in all the gears. But everyone was just raving about this EAT chip so I said I just have to get a hold of one. If the previous chip was a performance chip then Mark's chip is much better in first and second gear if you change at max. rpm. The gas mileage is just a shade better and it seems like your car need some time to fully acclimate to the chip[ I will monitor the performance over the next week and a half]. Keep in mind I just put the chip in less than 24 hrs, so the jury is still out. Over all the E.A.T chip eats up the Dinan Engineer chip in all category.
    Thanks Mark, and this is David the one whom you send the extra chip to- please get back to me so I know who you want me to mail it to.

Unregistered Guest

Default Chip tuning?

Glad to hear that an avg guy can install a chip. I own an M5 Touring '93 340hp and recently bought a chip that could increase to 370 hp... Eventhough I had clear installation guideline still something went wrong. After installation the car didn't start anymore. Offcourse I reinstalled the original, and guess what it didn't start either.
    I still can't find out what's wrong.
    Looking at other description on www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Chip.htm I noticed that there is no advise in disconnecting the battery. In my guideline it was suggested to do so?! Now when facing the same problem with the original chip I must have overlooked something that may have to do with the battery. Does anyone have a clue what I missed?

Who made your chip? I don't know anyone who makes a chip for the 3.8 (none of EAT, Jim C or Dinan do). If you put in a chip from the 3.6, that could explain your problem - could have fried the DME... I've even heard of people installing the chip backwards and it would still run fine afterwards (and it would even fire up with the chip backwards - just ran real bad).

Glad to hear that an avg guy can install a chip. I own an M5 Touring '93 340hp and recently bought a chip that could increase to 370 hp... Eventhough I had clear installation guideline still something went wrong. After installation the car didn't start anymore. Offcourse I reinstalled the original, and guess what it didn't start either.
    Looking at other description on www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Chip.htm I noticed that there is no advise in disconnecting the battery. In my guideline it was suggested to do so?! Now when facing the same problem with the original chip I must have overlooked something that may have to do with the battery. Does anyone have a clue what I missed?
    Last edited by BigD; 03-03-2004 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Who made your chip? I don't know anyone who makes a chip for the 3.8 (none of EAT, Jim C or Dinan do).
    I made one for the 1995 3.8 with EWS that has run in the Canadian 3.8 track car. (That's the first stage of my testing)
    It will soon be tested in a few cars in the USA.

If you put in a chip from the 3.6, that could explain your problem - could have fried the DME...
    No, it just won't start the motor

I've even heard of people installing the chip backwards and it would still run fine afterwards (and it would even fire up with the chip backwards - just ran real bad).
    There's NO WAY the motor will start with the chip in backwards. Did you see it or just hear about this? If the chip is in backwards, the cpu can not fetch instructions to execute. (plus it's address and data busses will be screwed up)

You don't have to disconnect the battery if you keep the ignition off.

There is very little to go wrong. Did you install the chips the same way as the stock one? If you did then maybe you scratched a trace on the board and have cut through it? Look for any cuts on the PCB. Where are you located? Are you in the USA? I assume you are not. What's the number on your stock chip and how many pins does it have, 28 or 32?

I may be interested in a tester. I'm also interested to hear what type of chip you have and the cost, so I can price mine competitively. You can send me a direct email.

Thanks

Mark ( mark@dsylva-tech.ca )

Oh ok. But you don't sell one, so my question still stands as to who made his.

I know it doesn't make much sense to me either, but I believe it was Tim Collins who did this. He said the car just ran like crap, spitting black smoke. Then he reversed it and it was fine...

Default curious mark.

if i extract the ecu with the battery connected, for only about 1 or 2 minutes, do i still lose settings?
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if i extract the ecu with the battery connected, for only about 1 or 2 minutes, do i still lose settings?

That's very hard to say as I have not tried that. You would be depending on a few capacitors in the DME to keep the Vcc high enough to hold the values in RAM, and I think that anything over about a minute will cause a loss of this data. But it really depends on how the circuit was designed and I did not analyse that section.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast