GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes, the avg. guy can certainly Install a chip.

Gary M Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Who made your chip? I don't know anyone who makes a chip for the 3.8 (none of EAT, Jim C or Dinan do). If you put in a chip from the 3.6, that could explain your problem - could have fried the DME... I've even heard of people installing the chip backwards and it would still run fine afterwards (and it would even fire up with the chip backwards - just ran real bad).
    Also are you sure that you didn't bend some of the pins on the chip. Also hopefully you didn't get an static shock when you touched the board or chips. That would screw up everything too.

i've noticed if i dissconnect the computer and reconnect it it's cleared on our mt 2500 snap on scanner, all of the trim on the mixture is reset, i do this to help some cars run better faster after serious injection problems

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if i extract the ecu with the battery connected, for only about 1 or 2 minutes, do i still lose settings?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Unregistered Guest

Default E34 board.

Thanks for all replies. The chip was bought over Ebay in Germany from a company that is called HPE-Systems. You can still find all details on ebay.com: just enter search for 2459958472. Everything matches (Bosch number, version etc.) but no make is mentioned. The chip only indicates BMW E34 M5 340 PS, and uses a print with some intelligence to install under the Chip. HPE gives support too, but doesn't know what could or went wrong.
    I can't find a name that rings a bell.

The support print needed to be welded into the masterprint because the cover won't fit after using the normal connector.
    You can imagine when replacing the original again and welding again, it was no fun job to do. Specially when I found the same problem: no start.

Someone said I might have fried the computer: what does that mean? Do I need a new Bosch?
    Stefan from the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Thanks for all replies. The chip was bought over Ebay in Germany from a company that is called HPE-Systems. You can still find all details on ebay.com: just enter search for 2459958472. Everything matches (Bosch number, version etc.) but no make is mentioned. The chip only indicates BMW E34 M5 340 PS, and uses a print with some intelligence to install under the Chip. HPE gives support too, but doesn't know what could or went wrong.
    I can't find a name that rings a bell.

The support print needed to be welded into the masterprint because the cover won't fit after using the normal connector.
    You can imagine when replacing the original again and welding again, it was no fun job to do. Specially when I found the same problem: no start.

Someone said I might have fried the computer: what does that mean? Do I need a new Bosch?
    Stefan from the Netherlands
    Hi Stefan,
    I understand from your explaination that you have an encryption board in the socket and then the chip in this board. That can be a problem. It's quite possible that there is some solder bridging the circuit board now, so look for that. Hopeully you can get it running without buying a new DME. I would not buy a chip that requires the cover to be left off, it's not a good idea to run it like that as the DME has now protection now.

Mark

Default The battery should not be any issue for you

It doesn't need to be disconnected. Does the M5 DME have a 2 circuit board, with the boards face to face like a sandwich? My 525i's have this type of board, but some cars only have a single board. With the two boards, you need to separate them and it can sometimes be difficult. It is possible that you either cracked one of the boards or somehow scraped one of the lines on a board and DME no longer works. If you can't see any damage to any of the circuits, than I don't know any way to tell other than trying a new DME. Mark, who makes the EAT chips, also repairs DME circuit boards. If that is the problem, you could send it to him.

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Glad to hear that an avg guy can install a chip. I own an M5 Touring '93 340hp and recently bought a chip that could increase to 370 hp... Eventhough I had clear installation guideline still something went wrong. After installation the car didn't start anymore. Offcourse I reinstalled the original, and guess what it didn't start either.
    I still can't find out what's wrong.
    Looking at other description on www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/Chip.htm I noticed that there is no advise in disconnecting the battery. In my guideline it was suggested to do so?! Now when facing the same problem with the original chip I must have overlooked something that may have to do with the battery. Does anyone have a clue what I missed?

Stefan Guest

Hi guy's, thanks a lot for all advice.
    The sandwhich board I have is not so easy to open but I've bought a magnifying glass to see whether something is cracked or scraped or...
    I'll let you know.
    Regards Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    Hi guy's, thanks a lot for all advice.
    The sandwhich board I have is not so easy to open but I've bought a magnifying glass to see whether something is cracked or scraped or...
    I'll let you know.
    Regards Stefan

Stefan,

pull the top board up to about 45 degrees, then twist it back and forth sideways, while also pushing the part that is connected at the housing DOWNWARDS. There is a tonge-and-groove system there and you have to push down to release it.
    (and don't forget to release those two tabs in the housing also)

Here's where you need a Hindu goddess with a few hands to help change the chip.
    http://www.exoticindiaart.com/kali.htm

Mark

Sampras Guest

Default I have had the chip{E.A.T} in now for 4 days

Yes it is a very good upgrade and unbeknows to be there was a Dinan chip in there. The new chip is far superior but I have seen the little increase in MPG. Probably it is because I haven't been able to keep my right foot of the pedal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12