GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 528i, 5 speed

Default 1997 528i, 5 speed

I am looking to buy another 5 series BMW. At this time I am considering a 1997 528i, dark green paint with tan interior that has 76,825 miles. It is a 5 speed manual with a load of options and in great condition. It comes carfax certified and warranties included. The Auto Outlet dealer is asking $11,995 for the car and I am interested because I have just given my 1992 525i to my son who recently totaled his 1996 Mitsubishi 3000 GT.

This 1997 528i seems like it has potential. The 6 cylinder engine is similar to the M50 which still runs strong. Have any of you out there had any experience or know anyone who owns a 1997 528i? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter. I need this car for my business and I need to do something soon.

Al Gray

My father has a 1998 528i 5 speed. He won't even let me look at it.

"Dad, can I..."
    "Hell no."
    "It didn't have anything to do with the car!"
    "I don't care, it was just in case."

I've gotten to drive it a couple of times, with him in the car and obviously yelling at me for EVERYTHING. Anyways. With recent gas prices basically sucking, we've been playing around with the on board computer's ability to track gas mileage. With the cruise control set around 64ish, he gets around 35mpg for his usual commute from our house to Dirty Jersey, which is about 40 miles each way, with a couple of semi decent hills in there. It'g got some power behind it when needed, and nice torque. The one time I actually got to "drive" it, I had to make a few sudden lane changes and quick downshifts and accelerations, and wow, no complaints here. Handles and drives awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    My father has a 1998 528i 5 speed. He won't even let me look at it.

"Dad, can I..."
    "Hell no."
    "It didn't have anything to do with the car!"
    "I don't care, it was just in case."

I've gotten to drive it a couple of times, with him in the car and obviously yelling at me for EVERYTHING. Anyways. With recent gas prices basically sucking, we've been playing around with the on board computer's ability to track gas mileage. With the cruise control set around 64ish, he gets around 35mpg for his usual commute from our house to Dirty Jersey, which is about 40 miles each way, with a couple of semi decent hills in there. It'g got some power behind it when needed, and nice torque. The one time I actually got to "drive" it, I had to make a few sudden lane changes and quick downshifts and accelerations, and wow, no complaints here. Handles and drives awesome.

I was more concerned about how the car holds up. If it is close to the E34 and is well maintained it should last a while.

Yeah it's got like 79,xxx on it and nothing major at all. Minor things, but thats to be expected. I can't say I remember it being in the shop overnight except for scheduled maintenence. I'll ask the old man tomorrow and PM you what he says. However, I am only 19 and by no means an expert. Maybe some of the elder members of the forum would be better suited. Either way, I'll ask for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

Default e39 stuff

On my wife's 97 528iA we have had some AC issues, MAF, idle regulating valve, transmission and suspension issues. And just this week both rear window regulators broke. The transmission turned out to be a software issue so that was nice. I replaced the whole front and rear suspension with the Sachs kit which greatly improved overall handling and the car sits even lower than my e34. I'll replace the window stuff this weekend if I get the parts in time. Then there's the standard cup holder problem, but you know that German's don't drink and drive. You can check the e39 board on roadflee, it's fairly active and there are some sites that list the different common issues with these cars. Overall, we have really enjoyed the car and these 'minor' problems are tolerable. The bentley book is almost 3 times the size of the e34- the second volume is basically wiring diagrams, so the car isn't as friendly as an e34. Our car has ~100k and we got it with ~40k. I wish we had the 5sp. Unless the car is priced right, I would recommend a newer model- say 98 or 99. The 97 was the first year and I believe you get some of those first year production problems- true for all manufacturers.

Good luck-
    Chip
    '92 535i 5sp
    EAT chip, Sachs kit, RRT sport control and upper thrust arms, SS brakelines, Camber plates, Subframe inserts, 3.64 Diff, M5 (3.6L) calipers.
    '87 325iS

I don't know about the E39, but why does everyone say the E34 has no cupholder? Just about every cup I've ever had in the car jams nicely into the rectangular center console thing- coffee cups, all the fast food cups (as long as you don't get the ridiculously large one), starbucks, etc. Just have to wipe out the condensation from time to time. Sorry to hijack the thread.

As for the car, I don't know much about them, but if the dealer is asking 11,995, I'll bet you can get it for at least 11k. Don't let him lie to you about the 5 speeds being rare (and thats always a good thing to them). They're rare because no one drives them except for us few enthusiasts. Chances are you're the only one in the market for a car like that. I'm sorry, I'm sure I don't need to be telling you how to buy a car, I just hate it when dealers tell me that the 5 speeds 'sell fast'.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default Thanks. I appreciate your help

Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake
    Yeah it's got like 79,xxx on it and nothing major at all. Minor things, but thats to be expected. I can't say I remember it being in the shop overnight except for scheduled maintenence. I'll ask the old man tomorrow and PM you what he says. However, I am only 19 and by no means an expert. Maybe some of the elder members of the forum would be better suited. Either way, I'll ask for you.
    I just received a car fax on this particular 97 528i and it was in 2 accidents one with possible frame damage. I am way leary of this car. Gee, thanks Car Fax!

Default "Cupholder"?

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    I don't know about the E39, but why does everyone say the E34 has no cupholder? Just about every cup I've ever had in the car jams nicely into the rectangular center console thing- coffee cups, all the fast food cups (as long as you don't get the ridiculously large one), starbucks, etc. Just have to wipe out the condensation from time to time. Sorry to hijack the thread.

As for the car, I don't know much about them, but if the dealer is asking 11,995, I'll bet you can get it for at least 11k. Don't let him lie to you about the 5 speeds being rare (and thats always a good thing to them). They're rare because no one drives them except for us few enthusiasts. Chances are you're the only one in the market for a car like that. I'm sorry, I'm sure I don't need to be telling you how to buy a car, I just hate it when dealers tell me that the 5 speeds 'sell fast'.
    Yeah I do the same thing with that center console thing. Ya just gotta make sure its jammed in there or ya gotta big mess. Maybe you can even wipe out all the window buttons in the console. I hear that coffee isn't that good for electrical connections.

Leave the carfax report in the glovebox when he's not looking. That way the next person that comes and checks around, opens the glovebox...BAM!

I'd say offer him like 7k for it, but he'll probably be able to find a sucker that won't know and will give him 11.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

I have 1 1997 528i. I need to replace the serpentine belt but don't have an idea how to do it. Do I release the tensioner to replace the belt? Please advise.

Floyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast