GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: "Dog Bones"! Rear Pitman Arms

Default "Dog Bones"! Rear Pitman Arms

Gentlemen:
    I have 525i 91 with 129K miles on it. It came from shop yesterday, following a routine Inspection 1. The diagnosis is it need 2 (part no. 33-32-1-126-476), "dog bones". I understand this to be the rear "pitman arms" as part of the rear 'trailing arm'. They are apparently "seized! They are estimated to cost about C$160, but I'm sure I can do better with BMA or other supplier.
    May I ask, what do these arms do and is it a "big" deal if they are seized, please? Is this a difficult job to do? Can a novice replace these with some basic tools??

Also my front "thrust rod bushings are worn out and are starting to have play in them. I understand that "Lemforder" arms with the 750 bushing is the way to go. I gather BMA has these or I could get them from Bruno in Toronto Canada since I live near there!

Also my rear mount carrier bushing seem to be collapsing! (Part no. 33-31-1-129-760). While this work is being done, should some of the other bushings be considered for replacement?

After all that is done, I imagine an alignment would be necessary with the new tires!

Any comments from some of you guys please!
    Regards,
    Helm

Man, sounds like you better do the lot. A kit on eBay for all the front stuff is $250 odd. The rear requires dogman arms ($40), pitbones ($50) (Sorry I'm ROFL) I mean pitman arms and dogbones... plus trailing arm bushes (60), shock mounts ($30) carrier mount ($30), subframe mounts ($80). CHeck teh online ETK there are some other bushes perhaps or soemthing I"ve missed. Perhaps shocks ($250-$400/4) (nice springs whilst you're in there are $200/4), check your CV boots too ($80). Alignment yes... might as well get that done by someone else! I would be careful who you pay to do the R&R- the front bushes have to be torqued to spec a certain way, rear stuff needs some patience. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

yep, give Bruno a call on all the parts.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default The track link as described here is what you refer to as the

the dogbones or pittman arms, this lists its function

Quote Originally Posted by helm
    Gentlemen:
    I have 525i 91 with 129K miles on it. It came from shop yesterday, following a routine Inspection 1. The diagnosis is it need 2 (part no. 33-32-1-126-476), "dog bones". I understand this to be the rear "pitman arms" as part of the rear 'trailing arm'. They are apparently "seized! They are estimated to cost about C$160, but I'm sure I can do better with BMA or other supplier.
    May I ask, what do these arms do and is it a "big" deal if they are seized, please? Is this a difficult job to do? Can a novice replace these with some basic tools??

Also my front "thrust rod bushings are worn out and are starting to have play in them. I understand that "Lemforder" arms with the 750 bushing is the way to go. I gather BMA has these or I could get them from Bruno in Toronto Canada since I live near there!

Also my rear mount carrier bushing seem to be collapsing! (Part no. 33-31-1-129-760). While this work is being done, should some of the other bushings be considered for replacement?

After all that is done, I imagine an alignment would be necessary with the new tires!

Any comments from some of you guys please!
    Regards,
    Helm

Default ah...first time I've really read that...

This is why the E34 doesn't squat as much as say the E28 and others.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Bill "thank you again". Is it easy for a novice to replace? Is it just a bolt on

replacement item that only used basic tools!

Realy appreciate your help.
    Man you know your "stuff"!
    Helm

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    the dogbones or pittman arms, this lists its function

Quote Originally Posted by helm
    replacement item that only used basic tools!

Realy appreciate your help.
    Man you know your "stuff"!
    Helm
    Dog Bones Replace

It's not a e34.. but its just about the same.

-Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34