GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yep, made the big NO NO!! Let the sunroof open and it rained!!

Default Yep, made the big NO NO!! Let the sunroof open and it rained!!

Yepper, did the big no no about a week ago. Left the sunroof open and it showered on us.

I have a '95 525'. It ran fine for about 3 days. Kept parking in the sun so I can get it to dry out. Didn't get too wet but a little. Then went out to bring the dog in after dark and the hazzards were flashing. I got power. It just would not turn over, could not lock the doors nor shut or open open windows.
    Got the hazzards to shut off by just pushing the hazzard button in and back out and they shut off and still work. I have all the dash lights, radio and fan works. No attempt for the engine to turn over at all.

Figured is was acting like the security system was triggered. Next when I had daylight I checked the front fuse box, fuses up front were fine, pulled the back seat and the only two 7.5 fuses next to the set of four fuse inlets near the security system were blown.

Replaced them, the car started and everything worked again.
    I drove about 10 minutes. Parked, shut off and restarted... repeated that process. Worked fine. Then let it sit for a couple hours.

Back out to check it, fuses blown again....put two more...same thing.

The back seat was damp when I pulled it out so it's obvious that wire harness from the right to left side of the car from the security system to where I assume heads up front may be wet.

Anyone ever go through this and what you suggest I do next? I plan to pull that wire harness out in the morning and try to check it out. Although it is covered with heat wrap...suppose I can pick up some of that to replace it.

What do you all suggest?

By the way...you all have helped me with so much on my car. The best one was right after I bought in in 2003 from a local used car dealer. I had him convinced to buy me a new $250 passenger window motor. Got on here for the first time and found if I hold down the buttom and open and slam the door the window will probably go down. That was the best find yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    CAQueenslace
    Ride safe and ride long!

dude that just sux...could be worse though!

Id say try to get to as much of the exposed wiring and clean/dry it off. If its water in the main runs then you have cracked wire insulation which I kinda doubt. Your main window switches need to be removed in the center along with the hazard switch, cleaned and dried. You probably have a couple areas that are wet, take one at a time.

Have fun!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Can't help more than to offer good luck...

Is there any way you can put it in a low humidity environment? Like a garage with a dehumidifer?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

So it's not that bad? Oh..thank goodness! I will get that all out of there in the morning.
    They predict our last day of summer here tomorrow so I want to make sure it's all dry.
    Carpets never really were wet and the seat only got damp. I already pulled the swithc down from teh head liner and look for wetness up there. Nothing really and I let it hang for a couple days in the sun in.

As soon as I get this fixed, I have a tougher one to resolve. Shortly after I bought the car I could no longer double arm my car with the remote. You can set it but after a few minutes the alarm is triggered. Guess I need to buy one of those testers to get a code on it.

Thanks much and I will let you know how I make out with it. I'd like to fix it, my husband will get a trip out of it like he did the windows. He's no computer dude...so I always find the fixes and on here!

A gal gains lots of respect when she fixes the car before the gent!

Later.

Regards,
    CAQueenslace
    Ride safe and ride long!

Yes, I can put in the garage however, we have a drought going on and that shower it was in was a quick one and the only one in weeks. So it's pretty dry out however, I'm sure the nights are moist with us hitting fall. I will get it in the garage in the morning
    as well as the the wire harness out of it and get it dried out.

I'm almost positive it's the harness under the back seat. It felt damp.

Be back and THANKS!
    Ride safe and ride long!

Thanks, I need it. I miss my bimmer
    Ride safe and ride long!

might sound stupid but if you take a hair drier to the harness you can warm the thing and turn any water into humidity faster so it can exit faster than just letting it sit. Id still inspect and clean the connections, also redo the battery cable ends and grounds if you can get to them.

When your done reboot the computers and hopefully you will have an entirely new car.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ahh....I know operate a hair dryer but I made a rule not to touch the battery.

I can see the battery, it's brand new. It's in the back seat.
    Are you sayting to unhook it and rehook it back up again. My husband can do all that Thursday.

Now on the reboot of the computer, where can I find instructs on how to do that??

You've been a great help!
    Ride safe and ride long!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    might sound stupid but if you take a hair drier to the harness you can warm the thing

Hey Jeff

Is this sexism? Telling a woman to use a hairdryer? In the six month I have been reading this board, I have never heard you suggest that to a guy.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast