GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAD problems

Default LAD problems

The back-end is riding like there are no shocks.
    I've read all of (shoguns) links and still can't decide if the accumulators are gone.

While the engine is running and i push down on a (rear) corner:
    - it moves down
    - it could just be springs being loaded
    - i can't tell if shocks involved
    - resisitance feels same as front corners
    - front corners are EDC ... and may be bad as well (sigh)
    - while holding it down with my weight (200lbs) i don't feel it rise
    - when i release it goes back to previous position

So, to me, i would think, if it was just the accumulators, i would still feel the back end rise when i load it, as the LAD kicked in.

If so, then how do i determine if it is the pump or the regulator valve that is gone ?

O.k., let's try this.
    When you park the car in the evening (best is always same place to measure) measure the ride height from edge of fender to middle of the BMW emblem in the center of the wheel. Try to have always about the same fuel inside.
    Next morning check again.
    If it goes down, it cannot be the pump, but the regulating valve.
    Also, after you parked the car in the evening, open the lid of the Pentosin reservoir and check the level. Open it again in the morning. Probably it will be higher = the regulating valve lets Pentosin flow back from the system.
    It is not that difficult to eliminate one after the other possibilities to pin down the real one.
    Others: load the trunk while engine is off: then start engine, rear should go up again to normal level. Again measure ride height in all steps.
    Usually the bladders of the bombs are gone when you have the feeling that the rear sus is stone hard. because the 'cushion' from the bladders is no longer there.
    Let me know what you find out.
    I have checked so many E32, and I have presently 5 750 E32 in my 'scrapyard", but only one of the 5 has a prob with the LAD.
    And that was an exploded 'bladder' inside of the bomb. My daily driver is from 1988, not any drop of Pentosin comes out from the shocks. I only had to replace the hoses in the engine room.

Ok, i'll measure the heights and today/tomorrow.

The ride is stone hard, but that could be either the bladders are gone, or there is no pressure and the 'lifts' are bottomed out (i.e. no movement for bladder to absorb).

Thanks.

Check the Bentley for the normal ride height. It is today online as you see from another posting, if you do not have one. Also depends in the wheel size. They indicate for the 32 for 3 different wheel sizes.
    If you say stone hard, my bet is the bladders.

Default I agree that its most likely bad accumulators, the upper

rear strut mount will flex quite a bit when you push down on the rear of the car giving you a misleading feeling and also the strut will allow some fluid to go back into the pressure accumulators even when they are bad, its just that there isn't enough pressure in the bladder to really absorb and supply fluid to the strut.. Also since your car has edc front and rear then if the edc has a fault in it then it automatically defaults to the middle shock firmness setting and if there's a fault in that system then with the solenoids not energized it will default to the firmest shock setting which won't help the ride to be any softer either..

Quote Originally Posted by cmk
    The back-end is riding like there are no shocks.
    I've read all of (shoguns) links and still can't decide if the accumulators are gone.

While the engine is running and i push down on a (rear) corner:
    - it moves down
    - it could just be springs being loaded
    - i can't tell if shocks involved
    - resisitance feels same as front corners
    - front corners are EDC ... and may be bad as well (sigh)
    - while holding it down with my weight (200lbs) i don't feel it rise
    - when i release it goes back to previous position

So, to me, i would think, if it was just the accumulators, i would still feel the back end rise when i load it, as the LAD kicked in.

If so, then how do i determine if it is the pump or the regulator valve that is gone ?

I measured when i went out (it was sitting all night), again after letting the car idle for a couple of minutes, and then again after driving around for a while.

All the measurements for a given wheel stayed within 1/4".
    I also measured the PS fluid level, and it didn't move at all.

Measuring from center of wheel arc to center of hub:
    - front left/right 14" / 14 1/8"
    - rear left/right 13" / 13 3/8" (back right fender has had body work, i assume that's most of the 3/8" difference)

Bently's has a 15" wheel from center of wheel arc to bottom of wheel rim:
    - front 22 1/8" ( -7 1/2" to get to center of hub = 14 5/8")
    - rear 20 1/4" ( -7 1/2" to get to center of hub = 12 3/4")

So it seems my fronts are riding 1/2" low, and the rears maybe 1/4" - 1/2" high.

I had thought the struts in the back were more or less 'lifts'.
    That the actual 'shocking' effect was handled by the accumulators.

How does EDC on the rear alter that ?
    Do the struts now perform some of the shocking (via EDC), or was i incorrect in my original assumption ?

Default Nope the struts in the back function as shocks and as

the lifting cylinder, but they still have an orifice to control the rate at which the fluid flows through the strut just like a shock and they still have the edc portion of it which is a couple of larger orifices controlled by a solenoid

Quote Originally Posted by cmk
    I had thought the struts in the back were more or less 'lifts'.
    That the actual 'shocking' effect was handled by the accumulators.

How does EDC on the rear alter that ?
    Do the struts now perform some of the shocking (via EDC), or was i incorrect in my original assumption ?

Ahhh.
    Thanks, a picture is worth a thousand words.

This is just a pure guess, as Im not familiar with the BMW set-up. Looking at the diagrams its a little like the Citroen BX/Xantia set up which I do know. The part you call the Accumulator, in the Citroen is called the Sphere, and acts as the suspension spring/shock absorber combined. The fluid transferring the pressure/motion to the high pressure gas above the diaphragm in the sphere. Over time, the Nitrogen gas will leak out, a common problem with Citroens with hard suspensions. My guess is the same has happened here in the BMW set-up The nitrogen gas in the Citroens is at a Very high pressure, commonly around 30-50 Bar, and this is why it leaks out over time The gas permeates through the membrane/diaphragm and through the metal walls of the sphere.................
    This set up of Hydro-Pneumatic Suspension was first used on the Classic Citroen DS of the late '50's and 60's, where they had huge problems of gas leakage untill better diaphragm materials were made available such as neoprene and others.........
    Variable-rate shock-absorbance is effected by the valving of the fluid into and out of the sphere, just as described above in the Citroen as well.....

Figure on a life of around three years for a Sphere/Accumulator with average use, and say two years for hard use. Some Citroen fanatics change these things every year, for that perfect ride Citroens are renound for........

For a better description of the Citroen set-up, check out this link--
    http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/...s/suspens.html
    Last edited by High Compression II; 10-04-2005 at 03:25 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast