GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: tire experts... I need your advice.

Default tire experts... I need your advice.

I'm currently weighing my options for some much needed new tires. While doing so I was hoping to upgrade to a set of the 16" wheels I have, but there are much better deals on 15" tire setups.

I'll preface the situtation with a generic weather report. Here in Southern Oregon I deal with snow very, very, rarely... when it does fall, they salt & sand the roads pretty quickly. However we do get a lot of rain, and every now and then it will freeze up. I make a couple trips up to Portland and out towards Eastern Oregon during the holidays where the rain increases, and the freezing increases, respectfully. So basically, I'm thinking I need some great wet, slick traction, and possibly some slush/ice traction.

Siping will help too.

1st option for tires - the live in the now cheap route - have a set of 225/60/15 "formoza FD-1" all season v rated put on my basketweaves. approx. - $370 for 4 mounted/balanced/siped. (45k warranty)

2nd option - have as set of "proxes TPT" all seasons h rated put on some 16x7 style 33's. - $570 for 4 (65k warranty)

3rd option - put the same tires on a set of 16x8 chrome alloys (not BMW and a bit heavier, but the "look" factor is a push... I like both)... or put some "proxes-4" all seasons v rated (no warranty). 245/50/16 on the 16x8's in the rear and some 225/50 or 55/16's in the front. or some similar combination... for about $540.

I've heard good things about the proxes tires, and the price really isn't bad, I'm curious about tire sizing though.

I've never purchased tires for this vehicle before, and I've really only driven this 5 series with the crappy little falken 205/65's that are on there now.

Any opinions would be very helpfull.

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

Im very happy with my Falken 512 Ziex treads.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...season=Regular

$52 bux 225/60HR15
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There was a new set of Proxes4 on my 540/6 sport when I bought it. So far, so good. Traction adequate, no particular noise, uniform roundness/easily balanced, no flatspotting, tread tracks straight around the periphery of the tire. I've had two sets of Mich Pilot Sport XGTV on my old 535 with which I was very pleased until they wore down and got a bit on the harsh side, but I'd definitely buy them again without a second thought. My experience with probably 20+ sets of Mich tires has been uniformly good. They're always perfectly round, they require next to no balancing weight, they track true, and they always give excellent traction and mileage. The Porsche came with Dunlop Sport 9090 n0. They're quiet (but only 4000 miles) and very sticky. Flatspotting like hell though. Feels like the wheels are square for the first five miles, 10 if it's below 40F. Once they're warmed up, they're good. They seem to be acceptably round and track OK. These are damn expensive tires and when the time comes to replace them, I'm going to give serious consideration to the Toyo's based on my so-far good experience on the 540.

Regarding mileage warranties -- gotta read the fine print. For sure it's pro-rated, and then likely on an inflated "suggested retail" price. Plus, when it comes down to making a claim, there will be more wiggling going on than in a Las Vegas girlie extravaganza. Tread warranties basically aren't worth the paper they're printed on, so I wouldn't put much weight on that in making your decision.

Bottom line: can't really help too much with your decision, except that the Toyo's are better than I expected, and easier to live with than those damn Dunlops, and 60% the price of eqivalent Mich's.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Im very happy with my Falken 512 Ziex treads.

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop...season=Regular

$52 bux 225/60HR15
    Same Here!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

thanks for the info. and as far as falkens... I've had them before and they're ok... they last well, but when I've gone from them to different tires in the past, the handling and noise characteristics really improved.

Can anyone comment on a staggered tire size for a 16x8 (front and rear) set up? what would be the pros/cons? what are some good, readily available sizes to go with?

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

I've had staggered sizes on a few cars, but never on the same width wheel. That doesn't sound like a very good idea to me, if that's what you're asking. The width of tire and wheel should track within a fairly small range. If you're talking about a single size difference e.g. 245 and 255, then you might be OK. That's only 10mm or about .4" or roughly the increment in wheel widths. But, why bother then? Stick with the same size and you'll have more flexibility downstream, if, for example, you pick up some road damage and have to buy new tires.

The proxes are great, I have the T1R, had the T1S previously and my friend has had a set of proxes 4 for a year and loves them.
    Sticky and smooth.
    In Canada, there is NO warranty on Toyo high end, or any high end tire, no more pro rata, but, unless you hit something, you should be good to go!
    Don't stagger on the same size wheel.
    Show us pics of the wheels you are talking about...
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    The proxes are great, I have the T1R, had the T1S previously and my friend has had a set of proxes 4 for a year and loves them.
    Sticky and smooth.
    In Canada, there is NO warranty on Toyo high end, or any high end tire, no more pro rata, but, unless you hit something, you should be good to go!
    Don't stagger on the same size wheel.
    Show us pics of the wheels you are talking about...
    picture of the 16x8
    the tires on there now are baaaaadly cupped, so I never ran them that much when I got them. I like the width though.

I'll trust you on not staggering with same width wheels, but I'd like to know why it's bad if you can get the rolling diameter the same (within .03in.)?

-Brandon G