GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pushing Subframe Mounts

Default Pushing Subframe Mounts

So I've decided to replace the subframe mounts on my '90 535. When I took a look at them a couple weeks ago, I could see visible cracking in the bushing, even without removing the bottom plate.

Does anyone here have any experience pushing the new bushings in without the official tool? I was planning on using a procedure similar to the one outlined here, which was done on an E28. Given that I don't think my bushing will stand up to being pulled out, I was planning on going straight to cutting them out so that I could avoid having to deal with removing the bolt. I'm pretty confident getting them out won't be too much of a problem (potentially a bit of work, but nothing impossible).

As far as getting the new bushings back in though, will the floor jack/vehicle weight method work for an E34?

And is there any issue with reusing the bolt? I've got replacements for both the bolts and associated nuts, but the bolts are primarily in case something goes wrong.
    Last edited by hdaemon; 10-04-2005 at 04:50 PM.
    Damon H
    1990 535i 5spd 205,000mi

I did mine with the tool. All I can say is that you have to put one helluva squeeze on them to press them it. And don't try to cheat with soap or anything as they will slip back out. BWM specifically says to use water only.

Also, the top of the bushing is soft and it's possible to 'mushroom' it if you don't press it clean. Brett Anderson rents the tool you need, might be worth considering.

You can re-use the bolt no problems.

www.bmwe34.net has the procedure documented. Oh...is that my car on the site? Gee...I think it is.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    I did mine with the tool. All I can say is that you have to put one helluva squeeze on them to press them it. And don't try to cheat with soap or anything as they will slip back out. BWM specifically says to use water only.

Also, the top of the bushing is soft and it's possible to 'mushroom' it if you don't press it clean. Brett Anderson rents the tool you need, might be worth considering.

You can re-use the bolt no problems.

www.bmwe34.net has the procedure documented. Oh...is that my car on the site? Gee...I think it is.

Jeff

I've seen the procedure on bmwe34.net, and was looking for an alternative based on a lack of the proper tool. I'm presuming Brett is on the board here? How do I contact him regarding renting the tool?
    Damon H
    1990 535i 5spd 205,000mi

Quote Originally Posted by hdaemon
    I've seen the procedure on bmwe34.net, and was looking for an alternative based on a lack of the proper tool. I'm presuming Brett is on the board here? How do I contact him regarding renting the tool?
    KMS

Whit also works there.

-Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34