GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: to buy or not to buy

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • buy it and try to fix yourself

4 30.77%
  • dont buy it

5 38.46%
  • buy it but realise your limitations and get a mechanic to fix it (exp only ford zetec headwork)

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to buy or not to buy?

Default to buy or not to buy?

as you all probably know by now ive fallen in love with 34 5rs, i seen this for sale
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MakeTrack=true
    comments appreiciated on if its worth being a project car or is it gonna end up being a money pit? thanx for lookin, daemon

hmmmm if you are willing to take the gamble......if its truly a timing chain problem(I havent heard of a timing chain problem) then ALL the valves will be bent...or is it a nikasil problem?llLooks a nice car tho good paint,nice colour,shadowline.....If you can get it really cheap
    Gone but not forgotten

I know there are people who know exactly when what models were produced and I don't but I was looking at this website and according to it, the 530 wasn't produced til 94. Maybe this is America.

http://www.bmw4life.com/e34History.htm

Have you emailed the owner for more info? I don't see mileage in the listing. If you want, I will private message you the 25 questions I asked the prior owner of my car before looking at it. Can you look at the car and get a sense of whether it is just the bent valve stem or lots of other stuff? I would want a sense of its overall maintenance and you can't get it from that ad.

By the way, something similar happened to my car when it belonged to its prior owner. He had an indy repair it. So I guess it happens.

Pyro got his car for $1200 cause it was a project car. You might want to find whether he and others who buy cars that don't run and fix it themselves would do it over again knowing what they know now. Do you really have the time and patience for this?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    I know there are people who know exactly when what models were produced and I don't but I was looking at this website and according to it, the 530 wasn't produced til 94. Maybe this is America.

http://www.bmw4life.com/e34History.htm

Have you emailed the owner for more info? I don't see mileage in the listing. If you want, I will private message you the 25 questions I asked the prior owner of my car before looking at it. Can you look at the car and get a sense of whether it is just the bent valve stem or lots of other stuff? I would want a sense of its overall maintenance and you can't get it from that ad.

By the way, something similar happened to my car when it belonged to its prior owner. He had an indy repair it. So I guess it happens.

Pyro got his car for $1200 cause it was a project car. You might want to find whether he and others who buy cars that don't run and fix it themselves would do it over again knowing what they know now. Do you really have the time and patience for this?
    thanx gayle that would be good! and an update on the car i e-mailed him and asked him what led him to believe it was bent valves? and did he know if it was a nikasil engine and his reply was :-

'it went clatter clatter and stopped running at tickover and has damaged a couple of spark plugs on each bank.not sure how to tell about nikasil or not,if you do i could tell you'

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Production of the 530i V8 started on 03/92 in Europe and 11/92 in the US.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

Plan on replacing the engine and factor that into the price. Dont even think about using that engine.

Inspect the engine after you pull it out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

the way im seeing it at the mo is if i can get it for under £500 its gotta be worth it as the interior has gotta be worth putting in mine (cloth at mo) and i could probably get money back breaking it for spares if i cant do the engine?

i would defanatly do it again because now i have a very nice car - the front end vibration. need to get rid of steering play and ill be good. Suspention is the only thing you cant test besides the motor because you cant drive the car.

Default I'd take a pass.

Hi,

I'd take a pass. First off there is no mileage listed at all. Curious?

You could have a money pit on your hands unless you can have someone look at it prior to buying. Could be major engine problems. Ask him if he has tried to sell it locally to get a feel if he is simply trying to dump it.

Now for a reasonable price you could just part it out if it does not work out for you.

Oh, and the steering wheel is on the wrong side. You'd have to get that fixed too.

Good Luck,
    Joe

• 1994 525I (Current)
    • 1987 325 (Sold in 2003)
    • 1994 525I (Sold in 1996)

What can you get a replacement engine for ?
    That is what I would do and so pay accordingly for the car.
    Do the homework & the sums, including the cost of an independent mechanic to swap engines for you.
    Also, keep a bit in reserve for the unforseen !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast