GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: double lock/sunroof problems.

Default double lock/sunroof problems.

I recently bought a E34 525i Touring.

It's a car with a bit attention.

But the following problem I can't figure out.

The central locking is working fine, except that the left rear door doesn't work on the central locking.
    The double lock is not working.
    And the double sunroof is also not working. If I push the button to close, you hear the motor and you see the front sunroof move a very little bit. but if you push to open, you don't hear anything.

Is this al related to each other?
    Does the central lock nog work, if 1 door doesn't work with the central locking?

Greetz.
    This World Is Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWISM
    I recently bought a E34 525i Touring.

It's a car with a bit attention.

But the following problem I can't figure out.

The central locking is working fine, except that the left rear door doesn't work on the central locking.
    The double lock is not working.
    And the double sunroof is also not working. If I push the button to close, you hear the motor and you see the front sunroof move a very little bit. but if you push to open, you don't hear anything.

Is this al related to each other?
    Does the central lock nog work, if 1 door doesn't work with the central locking?

Greetz.
    I doubt they're related.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by TWISM
    I recently bought a E34 525i Touring...the left rear door doesn't work...The double lock is not working...And the double sunroof is also not working. If I push the button to close, you hear the motor and you see the front sunroof move a very little bit. but if you push to open, you don't hear anything. Is this al related to each other?
    Greetz.
    hmm, non working locks and the double sunroof in the Touring are two problems that usually aren't simple.

But sometimes it can be something simple ...but its hard to determine by the info you left us to go on. Since we're not there...we don't know what you've done or tried...and you didn't leave any hints as to what you've tried...so please be patient with the questions we ask.

How do you know the "double lock" feature is not working? Did you roll down the driver's or passenger window, exit vehicle, lock it with the key, then try to pull up on the lock pin? You can't "double lock" the car from the inside...unless you have a BMW remote fob that has the double lock button... or you reach around and lock the car from the outside with the key.
    Usually when a lock refuses to operate with the system...the lock actuator has gone south or its out of whack. (search the archives using "lock actuator" or variations as keywords)

A simple trick is to try and resynch the locks (this may work for the sunroof too...details later). Go to the passenger door, insert key, turn and hold in the lock position and listen for all of the lock actuators to "clunk", then release. Walk around to the driver's door, insert key and unlock the car. Then do the same thing in the driver's door (turn & hold until all actuators lock) then go around to the passenger side and unlock. Repeat this procedure approx 2 to 3 times. If the problem is out of synch locks...this will resynch them...if the problem is a messed up actuator...then you'll get a little bit of excercise walking around the car.

I can't make heads or tails of you sunroof description...so let's start with resynching the sunroof? To resynch the sunroof, turn ignition to position 2, then push upward & hold the sunroof button for approx 20 seconds (hold until after you hear the sunroof motor make noise)...then release.

Now, let's establish some ground rules of the double sunroof operation since its operation is sort of confusing and convoluted (you've read the instruction in the owner's manual, right?):

* push upward on button: this "closes" the sunroof from any of the various positions it can be opened.
    * push button forward or backward (once): this will cause the front panel to move upward and position itself on the front half of the rear panel to await the next command
    * push button forward or backward (again): a forward push will cause the rear panel to move forward and under the front panel...a backward push will cause the front panel to move back and over the rear panel.

(I'm referring to the exterior panel's movement...the interior panels are the opposite...I told you it was convoluted!)

Once either panel has moved completely forward or backward...both panels will move together in whichever direction you push the button.

Also, once the panels are moving together...a quick forward or backward taps of the sunroof button will cause the panels to stop in "pre-programmed 1/4 open positions...tap the sunroof button again when this happens and the panels will continue to the final position.

Also, check the fuses in the E-box (electronics box) under the hood to make sure a fuse hasn't blown.

Good luck, I hope your problems are simple and can be fixed using any of the above. But as I stated earlier, the double sunroof is a known problem and door/lock actuators are troublesome, too.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Thanx for this information!

I got the car since last friday, so I didn't have time to do those many things with it.

What I did with the sunroof, is excatly what you discribed. Unfortunatly that didn't work. Someone else, on an other forum said it might be the switch?
    The sunroof only wants to close. If you push the switch forward or backward, nothing happens. If you push it in to close, you hear the motors "click".

The double lock.
    I have tried it by opening the drivers window, close and lock the doors and turned all the way to the right. I did not hear the extra "click" and I could pull the lockpin, resulting that the car was unlocked again.
    Could the problem with the double lock be caused by the left rear door, wich is not working with the central locking? That door you have to lock manualy.

Something I forgot to tell. The lock to stick the key in, on the passenger site door is broken. You can stick the key in, but can't turn it.
    Is there a possiblity to use an other lock and set it to my key? Or do I have to order a new lock by my chassisnumber at the BMW dealer?
    This World Is Mine!!

Central locking is allmost resolved.
    The left rear door works again, as also the right frontdoor lock.
    Double lock works on all doors EXCEPT the drivers door...

Could it be that that central locking motor is defect?
    This World Is Mine!!

changed the central locking motor in the drivers door. Double lock works fine now!
    excep that leftrear isn't functioning any more...
    but I have allready an other motor for that...

Now the problem with the double sunroof...
    Can it be a problem in the GM or RM module?
    This World Is Mine!!

I don't have an extra module with part number 61.35.8351669
    This module is located at the rear in the roof.

The strange thing is, if the module and switch are installed and you push the switch to open, you don't hear any click or motor. When you push to close, you hear a click and the motor. When you hold the switch, you hear it again after a few seconds and then it's all dead.
    Even when you push to close you don't hear anything...

Very strange problem...
    This World Is Mine!!

Where can I find the microswitches that are used to let the roof be in absolute zero point?

I've been told that thos switches also could be an problem.
    This World Is Mine!!

Problem solved!!

After a lot of measuring and trying...

I bought an other module, but that didn't seem the whole problem. Cause after installing the new module, there was still a problem...

After a lot of measuring the voltages, a came to the conclusen that one of the motors faild.
    So, I bought an other motor.
    Replaced the motor I thought was broke...
    Problem not solved!
    Replaced the motor I thought was good...
    Problem solved!

I am a happy man!!

The car ain't ready yet... There is still some damage and rust...
    And my airco doesn't function yet...
    But got allready some spare parts!
    This World Is Mine!!

you are making good progress,be patient remember some of these cars are now 17 years old and the design and technology must be 18 yr plus...be patient with the old girls......
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast