GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Supercharging-Have to read this!

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Yes but the more current you draw from the electrical system, the greater the alternator has to work, and the more load it puts on the engine.
    Nothing comes for free... unless of course you are the first person on the planet to have invented a totally lossless perpetual motion energy generator!
    Explain this to me please because the way I see it the alternator is running all the time and generating the same output all the time. If it's a 135amp alternator then it's always putting out 135amp (or close). It doesn't turn harder when it's trying to create more amperage and it's not clutch driven like an AC comnpressor. So wouldn't the alternator draw the same amount of power from the engine all the time??

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

thanke you, thats exactly what i was thinking

personaly, this supercharger setup seem to be a good idea, how many RPM is that think turning at? and where do you get an electric motor to spin with the same rpm a turbo needs, i was thinking like the motor out of a electric trimmer
    i wanna do this, it seems to be a good idea, kinda

Have anyone ever seen this thing actually working? I can think only of Diesel engines being supercharged this way. How about the weight, the idea seems great, and cooling? If it can create 5psis without major modifications to the engine seems like a really good idea.
    BMWoooom

well, and i dont know this for sure, but iv put some tought into it, you shouldent need air cooling if you put the intake/filter in a area where lots of fresh air passes through, like removing a highbeam haha, the only reason you need air cooling on a turbo, it bacause you run right off the manifold, so there is a ton of heat right in that area, im not sure why you need cooling on a supercharger, probally because it has to be close to the engine, and with an electric unit, you can place it away from the engine i assume.

Your alternator will probably NEVER have to pump out 135 amps in its lifetime. The reason for a high output alternator is so that it can keep up with the drain the electrical system uses and to keep the battery charged at all times. Your aternator probably rarley sees 20 amps after starting the car and rolling the windows down simultaniously.

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    Explain this to me please because the way I see it the alternator is running all the time and generating the same output all the time. If it's a 135amp alternator then it's always putting out 135amp (or close). It doesn't turn harder when it's trying to create more amperage and it's not clutch driven like an AC comnpressor. So wouldn't the alternator draw the same amount of power from the engine all the time??
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Your alternator will probably NEVER have to pump out 135 amps in its lifetime. The reason for a high output alternator is so that it can keep up with the drain the electrical system uses and to keep the battery charged at all times. Your aternator probably rarley sees 20 amps after starting the car and rolling the windows down simultaniously.
    Beat me to it!
    As Regal said. The current output of an alternator is dependant on the electrical systems requirements up to the maximum capacity of the alternator.
    On many vehicles if you turn on all the lights (inc fog, and high beams), rear demister and anything else that requires a fair amount of current while the engine is idling, it is often possible to notice a slight drop in revs as the alternator loads up the engine.
    Last edited by pundit; 10-02-2005 at 03:18 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Somebody developed a turbo kit that mounts underneath the car, thanks to the location it doesn't need an intercooler. It's designed as a retro fit for vehicles that don't have any room under the hood. Several shows/ magazines tested it and found it to work as any other turbo would, but with a bit more lag due to the piping.
    Matt J.

'95 540/6- Jim C. chip, Bilsteins, B&B, For Sale!
    -Sold
    www.wichitabmw.com

400 SEC / DAY, LASTS 24 YEARS.... Who drives for 6 and a bit minuites a day? is it on a switch?? do you only use it when u want it then turn it off. what sort of valving is on the intake system if this is the case.
    sounds like a lot of promises. i wouldnt do it to mine even though i am in favour of supercharging in general.
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

if they think a turbo dosent need an intercooler if it is located low, they dont give me any confidence in their tech article at all. an intercooler removes heat. placement of the turbo will not change the laws of physics.
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast