GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace A/C system, 134a upgrade information

Default Replace A/C system

Well my compressor locked up and I'm going to change out all components...yea I know nuts but.....anyway.

How should I distribute the oil....should I put it all in compressor....little in Evap, cond. and rec dryer?

Thanks
    Callen 91 535i 5spd soon to be really cool.

go r134a

Default a little in the filter/drier and the rest in the compressor, it'll spread through the

evap and cond. just fine ...

Quote Originally Posted by callen
    Well my compressor locked up and I'm going to change out all components...yea I know nuts but.....anyway.

How should I distribute the oil....should I put it all in compressor....little in Evap, cond. and rec dryer?

Thanks

it would be a cheeper to buy a flush gun from napa, i just got one a couple weeks ago, gun/tank and a gallon of flush cost me $125, the flush is about $50 a gallon, i think they sell smaller containers, about a pint does a evap or condensor fine. you do need a compressor to charge the tank and then blow the lines free after flushing

Thanks
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks

I've had a slow leak since I've had the car...also its a 91 and didn't get much air out of vents and it smells bad so looked and after 240K miles the evap was really dirty...plus the compressor did disintegrate.....finally this compressor is not cheap so don't want to take chances...finally in Houston need coooooold air...kinda like LA....also converting to R134...

Thanks though for info..... didn't know about flush gun..

Default If you're going to convert you may as well do it right, here is the

list of changes on the e34 after 8/92 when they changed to r134a, the newer condensor for the 93 will be the higher efficiency for 134a already, same with the expansion valve, compressor and clutch, evaporator, etc...when you order your parts I'd order them for a mid 93 535 to make sure that you get the stuff for it plus i'd order the conversion kit that bmw sells with the different pressure switches and wiring harness...

I've had a slow leak since I've had the car...also its a 91 and didn't get much air out of vents and it smells bad so looked and after 240K miles the evap was really dirty...plus the compressor did disintegrate.....finally this compressor is not cheap so don't want to take chances...finally in Houston need coooooold air...kinda like LA....also converting to R134...

Thanks though for info..... didn't know about flush gun..

where can I find the amount of PAG oil to put in system....stopped by dealer to pick up new o-rings and tech told me about 2.5 OZ's and to put it in while pulling a vaccum rather than directly into compressor......can this be right? Know in past I just poured some in rec dryer and compressor as you suggested.

Thanks

Callen 91 535i still steamy.

i drain the compressor and blow or flush the rest of the system and pour 5-6 ounces of ester into the compressor (i find this amount covers all of the euro cars i work on, volvo/mercedes/bmw) most compressors i get recomend 5-6 oz of oil, before you start the engine turn the compressor over by hand about a dozen times to clear the cylinders of liquid

where can I find the amount of PAG oil to put in system....stopped by dealer to pick up new o-rings and tech told me about 2.5 OZ's and to put it in while pulling a vaccum rather than directly into compressor......can this be right? Know in past I just poured some in rec dryer and compressor as you suggested.

Thanks

Callen 91 535i still steamy.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ps, i've seen in a few books that pag and r134a combine and do bad things to copper, you might want to think about that, older bmws can have some copper in their systems

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast