GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M60 PCV Tube Installation Problem

Default M60 PCV Tube Installation Problem

I am completing an overhaul of my 1994 530i intake system and trying to re-install the PCV tube which runs under the intake manifold and connects to the PCV plate at back and into another tube at front.

I did not notice when removing the tube, but it seems like I can have only one side fully inserted on either end, leaving one side apparently coming up short. Is this normal or am I missing some important tidbit of info?

Thanks,
    Ernie

I had to install the plate after the intake was on because of that same problem. After the intake is on try to keep the tube towards the plate after aligned and tighten down as the tube is flush to the plate.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I can get the tube connected at the PCV plate, but that seems to leave about an inch and a half at the front side where the tube connects. I'm not certain if there was orginally that much space at the front, because it looks like the two pieces are made to mate at the front also.

The front is a slip fit with a seal between the 2. you mean there is 1.5 inches too short? Is this with the intake on the engine already or your trying to assemble the intake/plate as a unit?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have loosely replaced the entire intake assembly with PCV plate, injectors, and throttle body back on the engine without tightening the intake manifold bolts or hooking any other connections up yet. I had previously removed everything to fix a vacuum leak and replace PCV plate, etc..
    Everything looks like it's in the right spot, except this PCV tube and it's looking too short for some reason. I think I'm missing something obvious because the metal PCV tube could not have changed. Is the seal between the two front pieces an oil ring?
    Thanks again.
    Ernie

did you slide the tube back towards the pcv plate? It is a slip fit and can move front to back. It has some sort of seal between the 2 tubes.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Yep, the tube is right up to the oil ring on the PCV plate. You mentioned 2 tubes. I thought it was one tube from front to back?

This tube?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...91&hg=11&fg=15

I don't think this tube fits until you tighten it all down, which is kinda a catch 22, if you ask me.

Just like the two metal tubes going to the waterpump under the intake. I'm never satisfied with those damn o-rings and it's a leap of faith to start tightening down.
    o/______\o
    (Oo=00=oO)
    []=****=[]

Funny, I was just checking out that website and yes it's that tube. I'm pretty sure I don't have an oil separator like they show in the picture though. I kept trying different production months, but they all show the separator. Either way, I think you must be right about not fitting until it's tightened down. Just don't see any other way to do it. I believe I purchased that o-ring from an earlier post for someone else performing the same procedure, but thought it was for the PCV plate which already came with one.
    BTW, the intake was an oil mess and I found the PCV diaghragm torn. Hope that was all it was for all that oil and not worn piston rings.

Mine fit. Regal is right, the tube can slide back and fourth a little becuase it's a slip-fit. are you 100% sure the intake manifold is aligned properly? it might be set too far back, the screw holes give it some leeway in placement. Tim might also be right about it not fitting correctly until the slack of loose-ness if taken in by tightening everything down, i don't really rememmber.

If nothing helps, take the manifold off again and attach the tube to the engine FIRST, then put the manifold/TB back on, without the PVC plate. Then tight the intake mani down, making sure it's aligned correctly. Last, attach the PVC plate and scooch the pipe a little back if you have to, it should all go togeher corectly.

I remember the PVC plate having lots of little hose-openings and the piece that mated to the pipe could be rotated, check and make sure it's set up properly.

Take some picture too, if you can. It was about 3am and pitch black when i finally pulled mine off, but i mostly rememmber.

On a side note- how'd you guys pull your intakes? i'm a short, thin guy and i ended up standing over the open engine bay, each foot on a strut down, and holding the manifold with my hands, squatting, and litting it up with my legs. everyhting was still attached, so it weighed a "substantial" ammount. that TB is pretty big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast