GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why i hate my e34 (at least as daily driver)

Default Why i hate my e34 (at least as daily driver) OR 'What, missed yer quota last month?'

So i was taking an unfamiliar route on the way to werk this morning.
    To those that don’t know, the Eisenhower is a freeway that runs through some of our less upscale hoods here in chi-town. My normal route takes me on a tollway which is heavily populated by luxury vehicles (where i happen to know all the usual state trooper waiting spots).
    Needless to say, between being the ‘richest’ target and the midrange punch of the small M60, i attracted some unwanted attention.
    Usually pretty aware of my surroundings, but did not notice ociffer friendly behind me until he was right on my ass. Like a couple of inches. Valentine1 remained silent thu the whole thing.

“75 in a 55” (welll duh, if traffic was lighter it may have been more) but how the hell did he clock me?!? Could have easily over-estimated my speed if he was trying to catch up. Ticket says nothing about the measuring method.
    “No insurance”, well proof......i have 3 cars dammit, sometimes can’t keep up w/ the expiring cards in the wallet. My agent loves me though and i am always reminded if in jeopardy of a lapsing. So i know i am covered as of today.
    Oh here’s the kicker.....”Following too closely (while switching lanes)”. ********. I know how i drive, i do not like being tailgated and i do not do it to others. I am positive that at no time was i any closer than half a car length behind anybody. Unlike the friendly revenue enhancing agent of the state who was literally inches off my bumper. He didn’t hit the lights immediately either. Just in case he wanted to get by i moved a lane over but he stuck to me like glue with a very aggressive move of his own.

He starts up saying he could easily take me in for reckless.....if lane changing behavior is taken into account.
    As if i ever do it w/o signaling and checking, unlike 80% of the other brain dead drivers out there on our urban roads w/ cell phones surgically attached to their ears.
    Pisser...........i bet if i had taken the Sentra he would not have even noticed me.

SO can someone post a link to that ‘how to beat a speeding ticket website’?
    ScottH, Josh any idea other ideas.

Since it is an automatic appearance ticket(s), no school. But i have had supervision dropped on me in the past by judges, once even a simple 'be more carefull' and let go. But i am really in the mood to fight this one, or at least be prepared to do so.

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i........”Hang up & Drive!”
    ”It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error;
    It is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error."-- Robert H. Jackson
    Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 03-02-2004 at 11:27 AM.

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Geez, we drove through there last weekend. If that's the worst you were doing on that stretch of road you should get a good citizen medal. We had the minivan last weekend and traffic was flying at 80 and we were getting passed left and right, tailgated cutoof, you name it.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

The speeding - remember that a police officer guages speed primarly by his or her experience; he or she then refers to a secondary speed measurement method, such as a radar/ladar or speedo in the car.

Following too closely - half a car distance is unresonable stopping distance in case of emergency; you're lucky he didn't get you for wreckles driving/improper passing.

My advice is to go to court and speak to the prosecutor - im sure he/she can get you a deal.
    1995 530im
    151k nikasil miles

Default **** Paul (m)

you were well on your way to being in the EXACT same position I was in a couple years ago with my reckless charge.........total ********.

Those ****ing troopers in IL need to start enforcing the lane change and left lane occupancy rules instead of provoking people like you and I who keep the cell phones off and pay a lot of attention to what we are doing when we are on the roads.

I have no useful advice for regular tickets.....only reckless driving charges.........and that advice is: get a lawyer

Last night I was cruising on my way home from work at about 11:30PM....a Saab was probably going 120mph in and out of traffic and I was cruising the empty middle lane at 90mph. 5 miles later after getting off the Edens spur where 294/94 merge back together going northbound, I made a 95mph pass in the left lane. A trooper all of the sudden showed up on my ass......I though for sure he got me. I found a spot to merge in the lane to my right and he moved up to get a look at me.....paced me for a few seconds, and then sped off. How he missed that Saab and decided to eye me.....I have no clue.

Retain an attorney and request a formal hearing. Chances our a meeting with the presecutor will occur and most of, if not all of the charges will be altered. The investment in the attorney could be less, if you get nailed to the cross for all those infractions. I know Michigan has really jacked up the driving penalties.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default It's selective enforcement

My dad was driving down 85 from VA to NC when he was pulled...for doing 70. The unmarked car sitting on his bumper didn't see the semi blow by them both. Funny how that works. I guess he was PO'd because Krispy Kreme was out of hot donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    Those ****ing troopers in IL need to start enforcing the lane change and left lane occupancy rules instead of provoking people like you and I who keep the cell phones off and pay a lot of attention to what we are doing when we are on the roads.

Oh i totally agree w/ u Scott, had others been showing proper lane usage and not clogging the left lane (or center for that matter) i would have been happy running my speed all i one lane. Funny i didn’t even think of the provocation angle when he was on my ass, i mean marked w/ full light bar, did he think i would be that stupid or oblivious (well more than not catching him in the 1st place).

Just for the record........=P.........3 tickets.
    1 - No insurance: Non issue (trooper said it himself) as i simply didn’t have the card for the vagon in my wallet.
    2 – Following too closely: Well according to HIS driving (no lights on yet) 10-14 inches is accepatable @ 58mph. But legally and if his comments bout all of this being on vid-tape bear out, technically he has me.
    3 – 75 in a 55: With no V1 braap and the ‘method’ on the ticket checked as ‘marked’ i assume it was by pacing me.

Honestly, part of me wishes that i had the balls to slam on those autobahn bred binders when he was inches away w/o his lights on. Hey the vagon has full coverage. I could have just said that something ahead spooked me, unaware that someone was behind at such an unsafe distance. Technically the accident would have been his fault (at least if he had been a civilian).

93 SE-R---94 530iT&A---92 325i........”Hang up & Drive!”

sometimes cops really just piss me off. I only ever had 2 encounters with them in the m5. one was i was going home from philly up I95 north in Pa doing about 130 (its about 3am, NO ONE is on the road) and there was a pig sittin' in the median. He threw on his lights for about 1/2 a second then turned them off and backed into his spot. i didn't even tap my brakes, i figured if he wanted me, he had me.

the second was when a pig in an unmarked car tailgates me, passes me on the right (after i had my right turn signal on and was going to merge because of the @#& behind me) cuts me off and has the AUDACITY to flash his badge at me as if I was the one in the wrong.

I agree whole-heartedly that the po-po should focus more on these idiot mothers on cell phones driving SUV's while putting on make-up, yelling at the kids, and reading the newest issue of "Red Book".

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    you were well on your way to being in the EXACT same position I was in a couple years ago with my reckless charge.........total ********.

I have no useful advice for regular tickets.....only reckless driving charges.........and that advice is: get a lawyer

Last night I was cruising on my way home from work at about 11:30PM....a Saab was probably going 120mph in and out of traffic and I was cruising the empty middle lane at 90mph. 5 miles later after getting off the Edens spur where 294/94 merge back together going northbound, I made a 95mph pass in the left lane. A trooper all of the sudden showed up on my ass......I though for sure he got me. I found a spot to merge in the lane to my right and he moved up to get a look at me.....paced me for a few seconds, and then sped off. How he missed that Saab and decided to eye me.....I have no clue.
    I am with Scott H on this one, I got hit for "careless driving" for not using a signal when merging, except I did use a signal. he also told me that I was speeding in a 40 zone, yet i had JUST left a green light... i should have told him that I WISH my car could get to over 40 in 30 feet. Jason (TheGEAK) was there that night, I apparently "cut off" a vehicle and was speeding, all while behind a Geo Metro with no emissions. Its a beautiful freaking world. I ALWAYS signal and I ALWAYS look.

Jon, don't lie. I saw you trying to race that Geo, only to get SPANKED!

seriously though, that was MESSED UP! I still wish i coulda gotten you and conners attention...i saw that cop turn to follow and just though "oh @*^# they're done!"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast