GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear end problems,??????

Default Rear end problems,??????

Hi you guy`s, need to pick yer brains on rear suspension on my 93,525i tourer, the self levelling type, the o/s has been replaced, along with variouse bushes, but i am now getting a thump, thump, every time i hit a manhole cover, or rough surface on the nearside,, the axle bushes were changed cos i was told they were suspect, no such luck, the thumpin is still there, i fancy the n/s suspension strut is suspect, but my garage say its ok, and is not leaking or anything, and neither is the exhaust catching anywhere, so guys, ime up a gum tree,, Help,!!!!, please.

Quote Originally Posted by pyeman
    Hi you guy`s, need to pick yer brains on rear suspension on my 93,525i tourer, the self levelling type, the o/s has been replaced, along with variouse bushes, but i am now getting a thump, thump, every time i hit a manhole cover, or rough surface on the nearside,, the axle bushes were changed cos i was told they were suspect, no such luck, the thumpin is still there, i fancy the n/s suspension strut is suspect, but my garage say its ok, and is not leaking or anything, and neither is the exhaust catching anywhere, so guys, ime up a gum tree,, Help,!!!!, please.
    SLS suspension compliance is provided by the accumulator "bombs" mounted inboard of the rear suspension. They have a bladder to separate the SLS oil from a nitrogen charge and during suspension deflection the nitrogen is compressed, providing damping. When the bladder fails the nitrogen is lost and the bomb goes solid, causing a very stiff/choppy ride. If left, the extra pressure will cause the damper seals to leak.

HTH,
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Default Anthony they also usually cause the upper strut mount to break when the

bomb fails since there is no cushioning effect anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    SLS suspension compliance is provided by the accumulator "bombs" mounted inboard of the rear suspension. They have a bladder to separate the SLS oil from a nitrogen charge and during suspension deflection the nitrogen is compressed, providing damping. When the bladder fails the nitrogen is lost and the bomb goes solid, causing a very stiff/choppy ride. If left, the extra pressure will cause the damper seals to leak.

HTH,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    bomb fails since there is no cushioning effect anymore

Thanks a million you guys, so much for the garage`s comments, so i can now try to locate a replacement.