GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCP groton suspension after 1 year

Default FCP groton suspension after 1 year

I bought lower/upper control arms, sway bar links and tie rod ends from FCP exactly one year ago. Didn't have much to spend at the time so I figured I'd give FCP a shot. I checked how they are holding up this weekend:

Left control arm balljoint boot has ruptured.
    I noticed the thrust arm bushings were showing signs of cracking on the outer edges. They might not have been torqued right though.

I guess I better start saving up for a set of lems

How many miles did you put on the suspension?
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

good feedback! This is what we need to know to acuratly describe the longevity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennyz525i
    I bought lower/upper control arms, sway bar links and tie rod ends from FCP exactly one year ago. Didn't have much to spend at the time so I figured I'd give FCP a shot. I checked how they are holding up this weekend:

I noticed the thrust arm bushings were showing signs of cracking on the outer edges. They might not have been torqued right though.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

$239 shipped for 2 upper control arms, 2 lower control arms, (both with 750 bushings) 2 sway bar links, 2 tierods, and a steering link is asking a lot. bmp sells balljoint boots, i have some here, they cost me $14ish for 4. ill probably end up buying the kit and replacing the boots if they break because i drive a lot of mi/year, and even the lemforder stuff will die for me. $239 buys you a lot of stuff.....
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I'll check how many miles I've driven with the fcp arms when I get home. I do drive the car hard and california roads are rough...

Quote Originally Posted by Lennyz525i

Are you experiencing a rusting problem with the parts as has been mentioned on this forum?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

any rusting will only be surface corrosion,i dont think they would ever fail through corrosion....would they????
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    Are you experiencing a rusting problem with the parts as has been mentioned on this forum?
    The Lemforders are hardly well painted either- No matter which ones one buys, if you care how they look later on, paint them carefully.

I've been to these kind of factories (TRW) and they go from the furnace to the paintbooth and they only get a light spray of gloss, no undercoat or anything. I think I'd rub them back a tad and do a few coats if I could afford the time. Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

I've had a full set of TRW on my 540 for just over a year (about 12K miles) as well. I was just under the car last weekend, and I inspected everything. So far, the balljoint boots are intact (this seems to be the major problem with TRW stuff) and the thrust arm bushings show no visible wear. More importantly, my heavy V8 is still driving rock solid.

If they were installed correctly, there is no reason that the thrust arm bushings should not last as long as Lemforders...the bushings are 750i OEM, exactly the same as the Lems that came off my car (they lasted 40K miles).

Im going with the oem alluminum ones next time.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast