GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Front End E34

Default Lowering Front End E34

My E34 is vibrating between 50-60 and I was told that I have some problems with my front end shocks. I bought from EBay new cartriges of Boge Struts. It just occured to me that since I will be replacing my struts why not lower my front end at the same time.
    Is there anybody there that has done what I'm going to do?
    Any advise, hints?
    Will I have buy new springs, cut short the stock springs, how many turns?
    I know that I need to stay away from Bavarian Lowering Springs that bottom out.
    Mucha gracias!!!

You also need to stay the hell away from cutting your stock springs.

If you are sticking with your boge shocks...i'd say, take your pick with any aftermarket set. ...although, some koni's would have been better.

Take a look at this page to help you make your decision.http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by The Melmaan
    My E34 is vibrating between 50-60 and I was told that I have some problems with my front end shocks. I bought from EBay new cartriges of Boge Struts. It just occured to me that since I will be replacing my struts why not lower my front end at the same time.
    Is there anybody there that has done what I'm going to do?
    Any advise, hints?
    Will I have buy new springs, cut short the stock springs, how many turns?
    I know that I need to stay away from Bavarian Lowering Springs that bottom out.
    Mucha gracias!!!
    Never cut the springs! Do a search on this forum.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Thanks, a quick question, will the shocks cause my car to vibrate at speeds between 50 to 60mph most specially when I hit pot holes and or pressing on the brakes?

Default shimmy

Thanks, a quick question, will the shocks cause my car to vibrate at speeds between 50 to 60mph most specially when I hit pot holes and or pressing on the brakes?
    Start with checking wheels/tires, making sure they are balanced. The braking part is most likely thrust arm bushings, but could possibly be warped rotors.

Greg Mendoza

bad struts, off balance wheels or worn front end parts with the thrust arms callind the first look through.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Sure, if something else is messed up in the front end, the car will still vibrate.

You know, it's not *really* a good idea to stick lowering springs on stock struts. You'll get much more travel (and wear on the strut inserts) than you bargained for. My .02 says that if you want to make your recent purchase worthwhile, simply stick the stock springs on with the struts. Otherwise, buy sport struts and springs to lower the car. Also, I feel the need to remind you that lowering the car results in more wear on the various replaceable suspension parts. Also, a lowered car kills dying bushings faster and accents dead bushings. So if it hasn't had a front end rebuild in a while, lowering the car will probably merit one a few miles down the road. Hence the need to plan these "projects" before pulling out the visa, but that's another issue for another thread.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Sure, if something else is messed up in the front end, the car will still vibrate.

You know, it's not *really* a good idea to stick lowering springs on stock struts. You'll get much more travel (and wear on the strut inserts) than you bargained for. My .02 says that if you want to make your recent purchase worthwhile, simply stick the stock springs on with the struts. Otherwise, buy sport struts and springs to lower the car. Also, I feel the need to remind you that lowering the car results in more wear on the various replaceable suspension parts. Also, a lowered car kills dying bushings faster and accents dead bushings. So if it hasn't had a front end rebuild in a while, lowering the car will probably merit one a few miles down the road. Hence the need to plan these "projects" before pulling out the visa, but that's another issue for another thread.

best, whit
    Good advice Whit!

When I lower my car, I want to do the suspension at the same time. I'll have to save money for it longer, but it'll be worth it.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by lowell

best, whit
    Exactly the reason why its a good idea to do the rest while you are in there. You can have your shocks, springs, upper/lower control arms, tie rods, centerlinks, pitman arms, dogbones install in one day (took me and a friend from 10am- which includes dog **** clean up till 6pm to get everything done and knotted up), and save a lot of time and labor.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

DAym you guys did all that in 1 day??? Impressed.

King Of NYC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast