GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hood insulation.

Default Hood insulation.

Guys,
    Most of our E34 has really serious hood insulation. I was wondering, does it really need it ?. I see that the new E90 model has zero insulation under the hood panel, so I am considering "lightening" the car by removing this insulation.

Any advise on any adverse effects of removal ?. Like would the paint peel due to the excess heat ?. Or would the paint discolor ?. Which would be just as bad ?.

Default Its not heat so much as sound...

Quote Originally Posted by emw525E34
    Guys,
    Most of our E34 has really serious hood insulation. I was wondering, does it really need it ?. I see that the new E90 model has zero insulation under the hood panel, so I am considering "lightening" the car by removing this insulation.

Any advise on any adverse effects of removal ?. Like would the paint peel due to the excess heat ?. Or would the paint discolor ?. Which would be just as bad ?.
    Without a hood pad your is sonically transparent - all the valve clatter will sound out loud everywhere you go. I guess its not considered too flash for a BMW by most...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Have you ever checked the weight of the hood insulation?
    I have removed it just from my E32 parts car 750iL last Saturday.
    As a rough guess I believe it is less than 2 kg.
    That is not much 'lightening'.
    Maybe you look into your trunk and remove all the stuff you carry around in your car. That will help much more.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Have you ever checked the weight of the hood insulation?
    I have removed it just from my E32 parts car 750iL last Saturday.
    As a rough guess I believe it is less than 2 kg.
    That is not much 'lightening'.
    Maybe you look into your trunk and remove all the stuff you carry around in your car. That will help much more.
    My tool kit is so heavy I can barely lift it, but the e34 doesn't have this problem, it just burns more fuel carting it round for me. It's definately time i took out the CD changer I never use since it weighs a kg or 2. Not to mention the tow bar; all this losing me valuable seconds at every set of lights! LOL

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default Much quieter engine, paint protected

When I got the car, didn't have hood insulation for first year I had it, costs so much to get it new from the dealer, so jumped at some original E34 insulation from parted-out hood a guy was selling. Engine noise was remarkably dampened, patch of slight discoloration on the hood from shoddy touchup by the previous owner also stopped growing. And as I recall, the insulation weight was negligible.

It sounds like i could do with some insulation. I did see the price from the dealer awhile back and it is hideously expensive, maybe there is some generic hood insulation somwhere. And if youre not using that cd-changer...
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Alright, guys I will leave it there!. Just ditched that big woofer I got. Thats a few kilos for sure. Thanks all.

BTW, the new BMWs do away with the padded hood insulation...because the engines are covered with "accoustical" panels now.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

That's one of the first thigs I did to both my 535 e34's. It was sagging and looked terrible. I removed it, and I never looked back, never encountered any discoloration (66k miles later) and never was concerned about valve clatter. I rather enjoy hearing the engine. Any other insulation I can remove?

A Bimmer Nut for sure: '04 530im (current daily driver), '97 m3, '98 323is, '99 Z3, '01 740iL, '06 330cicm zhp, '02 R1150R, '69 r60, Owner/Operator of www.Bimmer.info and www.BimmerNut.com
    And I still maintain: '90 535im (sold to daughters best friend, one of my favorite bimmers), '92 525im (daughters other best friend now drives this one).

LOL...take out the trunk insulation and rear seat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer Nut Ed
    Any other insulation I can remove?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast