GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 1995 325i Coolant Check Issue

Default 1995 325i Coolant Check Issue

I just purchased a 1995 325i. A couple days after I bought it a friend noticed it running hot and when I got home the check computer told me to check the coolant level, which was indeed low. Unfortunately, when we filled the coolant it was dark and we overfilled the resevior. Last night, I ran hot again (to the point where the red light came on), so I parked, went to a bar for a drink to give it time to cool off, and drove it back home later to no avail. When I checked the coolant today it was where it was when I last checked it, which is to say still overfull, and I had no overheating problem

So my question is, could overfilling the coolant resevoir be producing these effects? If so, how do I drain some of the fluid out. And if not, what else could the problem be?

I absolutely love my car by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by vafarmboy
    I just purchased a 1995 325i. A couple days after I bought it a friend noticed it running hot and when I got home the check computer told me to check the coolant level, which was indeed low. Unfortunately, when we filled the coolant it was dark and we overfilled the resevior. Last night, I ran hot again (to the point where the red light came on), so I parked, went to a bar for a drink to give it time to cool off, and drove it back home later to no avail. When I checked the coolant today it was where it was when I last checked it, which is to say still overfull, and I had no overheating problem

So my question is, could overfilling the coolant resevoir be producing these effects? If so, how do I drain some of the fluid out. And if not, what else could the problem be?

I absolutely love my car by the way!

Also note that, the auxilary fan does not kick on when engine is warm, and the the belt driven fan does not speed up with engine speed. It seems to spin just by chance..