GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting for the first time all over again

Default Posting for the first time all over again

A few weeks ago, I posted about a couple of 525i's i was looking at, and I didn't end up buying either of them (one was too beat up and the other was too pricey at $10k for a 110k mi car).

Now I'm about to go look at a '92 535i 5-speed with 112k mi. Apparently, it's had the clutch, the fan clutch, the oil pan, the front struts, the rear diff, and exhaust replaced. New fluids all around, and I assume that somewhere in all that work they did the timing belt (or is it a chain on the M30?) and water pump were replaced too.

So what should I look for in terms of problems? What can I expect out of the car? Essentially, I'm looking for a fun car that won't cause me too much trouble that I can spend some money fixing up. If I were buying a Honda, I'd be spending $7k-8k, but I'm looking for a $5k-6k BMW to give me room to replace stuff as it comes up. Is there anything big and bad that isn't listed on E34.net that's specific to the 535i?

I'm prepared to spend $1500-$2000 out of the gate fixing the car, but I don't want to be having it in the shop for weeks at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by integrale
    A few weeks ago, I posted about a couple of 525i's i was looking at, and I didn't end up buying either of them (one was too beat up and the other was too pricey at $10k for a 110k mi car).

Now I'm about to go look at a '92 535i 5-speed with 112k mi. Apparently, it's had the clutch, the fan clutch, the oil pan, the front struts, the rear diff, and exhaust replaced. New fluids all around, and I assume that somewhere in all that work they did the timing belt (or is it a chain on the M30?) and water pump were replaced too.

So what should I look for in terms of problems? What can I expect out of the car? Essentially, I'm looking for a fun car that won't cause me too much trouble that I can spend some money fixing up. If I were buying a Honda, I'd be spending $7k-8k, but I'm looking for a $5k-6k BMW to give me room to replace stuff as it comes up. Is there anything big and bad that isn't listed on E34.net that's specific to the 535i?

I'm prepared to spend $1500-$2000 out of the gate fixing the car, but I don't want to be having it in the shop for weeks at a time.
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Like I said...anything that isn't listed on E34.net?

Stuff goes on a BMW at 100k that goes on other cars at 70k. I think the major ones are (1) cooling system issues of which this car has had some but by no means all so you can probably expect that. (2) struts--so its a good thing that this car is over and done with that and (3) brakes--not yet? The 100k stuff gets replaced and is good for another 100k. I consider everything that has already been replaced/repaired to be a good sign--one less thing you will have to do and it is a sign the car was cared about. These cars need love.

Are there records on which to judge the maintenance? BMWs are picky about their fluids.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14326

You can expect leaks and rubber to wear out and a bunch of miscellaneous crap to go. You can expect the lamp control module to go and the lights to act bizarre but that is no biggy.

My personal theory is that if you don't work on it yourself it costs $2000 a year to keep any bmw on the road if it is out of waranty. And it is worth every penny.

We regular ask ourselves about the number of manual trannys out there. Last thing I saw posted was 5% of e34s are 535s and 5% of those are manuals. I have read that there were 600 in my year-1990, so a manual 535 is definately worth considering seriously.

Take a good look at the body and paint. That is the most expensive thing to bring back around. The mechancial stuff can all be dealt with.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Default Here is the buyers guide

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

damn.... what Gayle said.

too fast tonight for me.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks a lot gayle, that buyer's guide gave me a couple more things to look at. I'm expecting some little things; I just don't want a ton of them, and I want a car that'll be fun to drive. If I have to treat it like it's fine china, I won't be happy.

You definately don't have to treat it like fine china, but do expect to have a new hobby.

A 1992 535i 5spd? Holy crap that is rare!
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

My brother has a 1985 535i 5-speed.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast