GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Which hose is fuel, how do I replace it?

Unregistered Guest

Default Which hose is fuel, how do I replace it?

My 1990 525i requries 7 seconds on the starter to get going and then stalls once or twice after starting. Sometimes I notice a fuel smell after it stalls on startup. Someone said their e34 did this and it was the fuel hose was old and worn or leaking.

Anyone else had this problem or a similar problem? All the usual suspects that can be fixed by a Bozo (me) have been tried to no avail (plugs air filter, fuel filter)

Jason

Jason...rare that a leaky hose would cause a slow start condition. If you do smell gas and suspect a decrepit hose, by all means get it checked if you don't have much experience working on these engines. Every once in a while...every few months an old BMW goes up in smoke due to an engine fire...very common....do to all the heat aged 8mm high pressure fuel line used on virtually all old BMW's. If you suspect a leaky hose, I would change all of them...I did so last winter on my '90 735iL. As to your slow start...provided your electrical system is up to snuff...likely a fuel rail bleed down issue from either a failing check valve internal to the fuel pump which is resolvable by adding an in-line check valve...BMW sells these and they are inexpensive...or an ailing fuel pump itself. You need to assess your in-line fuel pressure to see if your pump is providing adequate pressure versus simply losing pressure after the engine is shut down.
    HTH,
    George

Unregistered Guest

Default Thanks george,

George,

Thank you for your advice.

I knew Ferrari's caught on fire if you looked at them the wrong way, didn't know BMW's ever ahd that problem. But I guess these cars last forever so rubber hoses should be inspected or replaced every 10 years or so.

Did have a 1974 Ford maverick go up in smoke on me once, 12 foot flames and the horn going off, like the vehicle was fresh from Hell. Previous owner had stuck a coin in the fusebox for the heater circuit.

Jason