GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 535i head gasket replaced...still overheating

Default 535i head gasket replaced...still overheating

we bled the system. After running 13 quarts of oil through, trying to get rid of the sludge, it is still overheating. It also still seems like there is water in the oil.

What else could be wrong??

First, I'd put a hole in the 'up' arrow of the thermostat to make coolant bleeding more secure. Then, I'd check all the coolant hoses at the firewall, for slight leaks. Then, blow through that 1 narrow hose going to the top left side of the radiator.
    Were the threads in the block cleaned up for the head bolts? The residual crap can crack the block when left in there during head torqueing.
    Then, something could be cracked.
    erased due to slander

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    First, I'd put a hole in the 'up' arrow of the thermostat to make coolant bleeding more secure. Then, I'd check all the coolant hoses at the firewall, for slight leaks. Then, blow through that 1 narrow hose going to the top left side of the radiator.
    Were the threads in the block cleaned up for the head bolts? The residual crap can crack the block when left in there during head torqueing.
    Then, something could be cracked.

The head bolt holes were cleaned out.

did you inspect the head and block closely whebn it was apart for micro cracks? Also did you torque everything down right and retorque after the engine warmed and cooled back down? If not that could be a problem as long as you didnt over heat it again.

Quote Originally Posted by bergie33
    we bled the system. After running 13 quarts of oil through, trying to get rid of the sludge, it is still overheating. It also still seems like there is water in the oil.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Are you getting water in your oil or oil in your water?

If #1, you could have a cracked head or block or bad head gasket. Ouch.

If #2, it may just be that you really need to flush out the system like Martin said. It may be hard to bleed it out if it's all plugged up.

I'd consider a pressure test on the cooling system to see if it's tight. Also, start the car cold and remove the coolant cap. Put your hand over the hole. Got pressure and/or bubbles? Headgasket's not sealing.

Guessing it's just sludge in the system + no good bleeding.

jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

What other cooling items did you check before you replaced the head gasket?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    What other cooling items did you check before you replaced the head gasket?

What else is there to check? I though water in the oil could only mean a head gasket. Didn't check anything else.

As asked above, I did not re-torque after heating up and cooling off the engine, so I will try that.

The head was pressure tested by the machine shop, which should have revealed any cracks. The block was inspected briefly, but not pressure tested.

What else is there to check? I though water in the oil could only mean a head gasket. Didn't check anything else.

As asked above, I did not re-torque after heating up and cooling off the engine, so I will try that.

The head was pressure tested by the machine shop, which should have revealed any cracks. The block was inspected briefly, but not pressure tested.
    This may be stupid, but did you change out the radiator cap? I think they only have so many overheats in them.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

No, but there appears to be significant coolant loss, so it is not just heating up, but it is losing coolant.

And no, I didn't change the radiator cap.

Supposed to at least check the thermostat in bioling water and replace the waterpump as they are normal maintenance items along with all the hoses and belts.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast