GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternator parts

Default Alternator parts

can anyone tell me where to buy spare parts online for my alternator? It's a bosch unit. I tried NAPA but u need a US address and i don't live there!

Try Autohaus
    http://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lo...Token=89902330

I buy from them. They send overseas, no problem. Charge the credit card. But in the order for you have to be careful with shipping instruction. There are only a few but expensive possibilities such as DHL.
    But you have to click one of them to proceed with the order form. Then type in under special instructions the shipping method you want. Usually I take Global Priority Airparcel. Takes 8-12 days to Japan, but much cheaper. Select shipping under
    http://www.usps.com
    You can find the prices there too.

Sorry if I have not been paying attention in the past - are you in Australia? If so have you tried www.eurocarparts.com.au or www.turinimports.com.au. Anyway what about your local auto electricians. In Melbourne Aus many auto electricians sell parts. They are in the business of reconditioning alternators and starter motors etc so have usually had the parts I've needed on the shelf at a reasonable price.

Bill G

Quote Originally Posted by bill g
    Sorry if I have not been paying attention in the past - are you in Australia? If so have you tried www.eurocarparts.com.au or www.turinimports.com.au. Anyway what about your local auto electricians. In Melbourne Aus many auto electricians sell parts. They are in the business of reconditioning alternators and starter motors etc so have usually had the parts I've needed on the shelf at a reasonable price.

Bill G
    Thanks shogun. Yeah Bill i'm in Brisbane. I went up to a few auto electricians this evening with not much luck. none of them stocked stuff for bosch alternators and the one guy i found who did, wanted 80 bucks just to tell me what needed replacing and didn't have any brushes etc in stock. That's why i'm having a hunt around on the net. Thanks for the links.

There are several slightly different styles of the 15x8x5mm brush the alternator uses. The Bosch PN I use is 1 127 014 011. It includes the insulating spaghetti that some regulators use. Many of the EAutoparts places in US have a PN search function like http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...FKMQ51MC0FM0OB that will locate the part.

Good hardware stores often have an assortment of brushes for hand held power tools that can be used also. If you can't find the exact size just pick a set that's slightly larger and trim to size with emery cloth.

Replacing brushes may save you a fortune when the HVAC fan motor acts up.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    Thanks shogun. Yeah Bill i'm in Brisbane. I went up to a few auto electricians this evening with not much luck. none of them stocked stuff for bosch alternators and the one guy i found who did, wanted 80 bucks just to tell me what needed replacing and didn't have any brushes etc in stock. That's why i'm having a hunt around on the net. Thanks for the links.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

keep trying the alternator rebuild places as your long distance bill will allow. its the british tendency to replace brushes in devices with normal consumable brushes, very rarely does anyone in the US does it. its much more the american tendency to buy a rebuilt alternator/starter and turn the old (brush depleted unit) back in for a core deposit. rebuilders over here don't fear people putting brushes back into their alternators, as nobody ever does it (statistically). as a result, when my alt. started kicking out 8.7 volts (bad spring) and i replaced my regulator, i was able to walk into the local alt rebuilder here, and he gave me, free of charge, 2 new springs and offered to give me 2 brushes (i only took the springs) to put back into my old regulator to have as a spare. somebody, a hardware store, or alt rebuilder, car parts place, has a brush set you can use, you just have to find them. if they aren't exactly like your old ones, you can polish them down with emery cloth or sandpaper like paul suggested.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Any decent hardware store, electrical shop, or auto parts place should have replacement brushes for less than ~$3. Unsolder the old ones and slip in the new ones. Resolder. Piece of cake.

if you refer to the pic in the link that paul provided, the bosch brushes have a little nub at the end

if you can find an automotive brush with a little nub, it will be better than one without because the spring can hold onto the brush better because of it. my local surplus store has ones with brushes and springs held together with little retainers, ie, solder the retainer, assembly fixed. remember, no matter what kind of brushes you get, they must be similar in size to the ones you are replacing when you get finished (ie, you can shave down a oversized one, but in an alternator, there's no room to make two smaller ones into one larger one).
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

ps, heres a big ole' picture of some brushes, note that some have nubs, some have not, and some are completely unsuitable for your application

feel free to ask anyone about what might fit, what might not (et cetera).

What are you in need of? Maybe get a spare one to run until you get parts? Sometimes that may be easier if used parts are redily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    can anyone tell me where to buy spare parts online for my alternator? It's a bosch unit. I tried NAPA but u need a US address and i don't live there!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast