GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: alternator stuff (pics)

Default alternator stuff (pics)

Finaly pulled my allternator out today. I noticed that everytime i go out in serios rain, the alternator starts making this whirring noise, and probbably doesn't charge. scenario is like this: i go out (evening) ,it starts to rain, i drive it for a couple of miles in the rain to get home, next morning it starts hard (as in cranks slow and doesn't start right away) and after it starts the alternator is making the noise i was talking about. i drive it for a couple of miles and it stops whirring (dries out i guess) and everything's fine till the next heavy rain.
    So today i took it out planning to change the brushes, or whole regulator, check bearings and so on. my alternator is a valeo, running since 89. looking at it reavealed somethig a little suspicious(pics below). doesn't realy look as the etk says it should. any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

the brush pac should be the thing marked HUCO (that's what it looks like it says) held on with a screw on ether side, the square thing the size of your thumb with bosch on it is a radio noise supressor
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks winfred,
    really cleared my mind . the little bosh thing was annoing me because i didn't know what it was, and it looked like it should be screwed somewere else.

Default pulling the bearings

I changed the brushes, took of pulley and fan, and the four long screws that hold it together. Got another question: best way to pull the bearings?
    should i use a 4 point press i got to push on the axle and pull on the front case or should i cut a piece of pipe to push directly on the bearing? or should i do something else? the stator is gonna stay on the rear half, right?

sorry for all the stupid questions but it's the first time i'm taking an alternator completly apart and i don't want to mess things up. thanks

im almost certain the TIS has disassembly instructions but i've not reinstalled my etk/tis so im not certain. im not entirely sure of how you'd do a valeo, as i've never seen one in person. here's a bosch disassembly guide (which is about as close as you are going to get to valeo disassembly instructions on the internet)

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdet...haltrepair.htm

they have text instructions for a lucas here

http://www.rangerovers.net/repairdetails/altrebuild.htm

usually bearing removal requires some type of press or puller (i've never seen yours, so i wouldn't know)
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."