GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Turning while braking - 540

Default Turning while braking - 540

Hi guys,

I'm new to the group, so go easy on me! I've got a problem while trying to turn right while braking with my 94 540. If I let off the brake in the turn, it goes away, but if I don't, it's like I'm hitting the steering wheel stops. Are these systems linked somehow? It's getting kinda scary.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Describe the kind of turns your talking about, tight 90 degree turns, long sweepers, decreasing radius, banked or non-banked, ect... Are you racing or just cruising? It only happens in right handed turns?

Default Braking while turning

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    Describe the kind of turns your talking about, tight 90 degree turns, long sweepers, decreasing radius, banked or non-banked, ect... Are you racing or just cruising? It only happens in right handed turns?
    Thanks for the reply. It happens when coming to a corner stop sign or street light and braking to turn right through, say, a green light. So we're talking about slow turns and starting at about 2 oclock on the wheel. If I let up on the brake, it clears up, so I try to brake hard before I get to the turn and get my foot off the brake in the turn. It seemed to start after I got the idiot message that my brake fluid was low and topping it off. The brakes work fine, with no fade, so I can't figure out how this would affect steering. Thanks again for replying.

Hey, I've heard that there is a filter in the power steering reservoir and that may contribute to the problems in theory. I would consider checking if your reservoir has a filter in the bottom of it, I don't think you can replace it other than changing out the reservoir. This whole thing is based on what I've heard and what I think could be contributing to the whole problem. I hope this may help.
    -Eric
    (OO ( )( ) OO)
    1995 BMW 540i
    Minneapolis Bimmer Group Founder

Default Braking while turning...

Quote Originally Posted by Triton540i
    Hey, I've heard that there is a filter in the power steering reservoir and that may contribute to the problems in theory. I would consider checking if your reservoir has a filter in the bottom of it, I don't think you can replace it other than changing out the reservoir. This whole thing is based on what I've heard and what I think could be contributing to the whole problem. I hope this may help.
    -Eric
    Thanks for the tip. Maybe I can clean it! I'll let you know what I find.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brians540ia
    It seemed to start after I got the idiot message that my brake fluid was low and topping it off. The brakes work fine, with no fade, so I can't figure out how this would affect steering. Thanks again for replying.

Did you get air into the system? Is there a leak in one of the front brake circuits to cause you to lose fluid?

Try this. On a straight stretch of clear road, press on the brakes without putting any force on the steering wheel. Does the car pull to one side? If it does, you need to inspect your brakes more closely, in particular, the side that the car turned away from. (If it pulls left, check the right front.)

Sounds like you are getting pull from one front caliper doing its job and one not.

Good Luck,
    Scott
    Wilmington, NC

01 525iA For Sale
    Coming Soon: 2005 X3 3.0i
    05 Jeep GCL HEMI
    85 318iA SOLD
    96 Jeep GCL SOLD

Default Motor mounts?

I think I found the problem, but won't know for sure until I get my new motor mounts. Both sides were completely gone, with no fluid left in them. I pretty sure this is causing the steering shaft to rub on something. I jacked up the motor to test and it went away. I'll update with the final verdict. Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

How extremely topical. I'm having the exact same problem. Started about a week ago. I missed this thread when it was started, so I'm glad you posted something again about it. When I had my Inspection II done in January, the guy mentioned that my motor mounts were getting worn, but that I didn't have to worry about it just yet. Maybe I do, though. Please post afterwards to give the verdict as to whether or not this solved your problem.
    If you ever discover that what you're seeing is a play within a play, just slow down, take a deep breath, and hold on for the ride of your life.

-Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey

Default Steering problem linked to motor mounts

I finally got the mounts and it was definitely the issue. I'm driving a new car! New struts, brakes, thrust arms, sway bar links and motor mounts. Gotta love it!

Default Exactly what happened to me too. Replace those mounts (m)

From my experience. Remove the lower nuts first, then jack the motor up about 2/3 inches. (replace onbe side at a time) This will make the driver side top nut much easier to get to. You will actually be abel to see it, just barely. The passenger side access is much easier...

Also, my mounts (from BMA) were specific to a side, but not labled. Check them carfully, they will only go in correclty one one side, though they almost look like they are the same and would fit on the other side, they do not.

Good luck.