GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OT: whats so wrong with a normal turn signal stalk?

Default OT: whats so wrong with a normal turn signal stalk?

So this is kind of off topic, but i test drove a new 325 this weekend and i liked it, alot more than the e46's. however, the turn signal stalk was incredibly stupid...it's hard to describe but its not like any other car i've driven...it doesn't stay in one position and it is incredibly hard to turn it off. has anyone else has experience with this and have any thoughts about it? is a normal stalk THAT bad?
    -amir

Quote Originally Posted by xphilter
    So this is kind of off topic, but i test drove a new 325 this weekend and i liked it, alot more than the e46's. however, the turn signal stalk was incredibly stupid...it's hard to describe but its not like any other car i've driven...it doesn't stay in one position and it is incredibly hard to turn it off. has anyone else has experience with this and have any thoughts about it? is a normal stalk THAT bad?
    Probably just takes getting used to.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

I don't know exactly how it works on the new 3, but it sounds similar to the Vauxhall/Opel Vectra, which has come under heavy fire for its idiotic signal stalk.

The old ones worked great, IMHO.

We should give BMW a break, though. Advancing the state of automobiledom is hard work, and their ideas can't all be winners. Bin this idea with iDrive, but keep other good ones like relocating the shifter to the column in the 7 and providing a way to close the sunroof after you've left the car.

I testdrove an 06' 330 a few weeks ago and had the same problem. When changing lanes it does not seem to want to turn off and trying to push it back towards center turns on the other blinker(I can only imagine what the drivers around my thought I was doing). Though i'm sure you would get used to it pretty quickly, in my opinion cars should not really have that much of a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylebo
    and providing a way to close the sunroof after you've left the car.
    so when you stick your key into the drivers door lock to "lock" the car when the windows and sunroof are left open...your windows and sunroof won't begin to close after holding the key (takes about 15 seconds). ?
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    so when you stick your key into the drivers door lock to "lock" the car when the windows and sunroof are left open...your windows and sunroof won't begin to close after holding the key (takes about 15 seconds). ?
    I didn't say it was perfect, but at least you don't have to get back in the car.

my windows/sunroof auto close on my remote control too
    '90 535iSE Auto (AE+EAT) 123k miles
    '86 F288 69k miles
    '06('89)- PGE 2.0DOHC Turbo
    '03 A160LE 19k miles
    1914 Stellite E2A (no odometer!)
    (+ others I daren't mention here)
    www.pyghtle.com

I wish all cars had stalks like my e34 - no BS knobs or wheels, good solid feel all around. Maybe BMW should get the basic car right before stretching the envelope - like they say, if it ain't broke . . .