GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Might have a stuck brake caliper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Might have a stuck brake caliper

I just finished installing new pads and rotors on my '95 530i. Brembo stock replacement rotors along with Hawk HPS pads. I broke in the pads per Hawks procedure (6-10 35 mph stops, 2 45 mph stops, let it sit for 15 min) and then took it out on a test drive. At higher speeds (50+) I notice a slight pull to the left. Wondered if it might be a caliper hanging up on one side so I did the "smell test". Stuck my nose next to each wheel after the drive. All wheels gave no smell except for the front left, which had a slight burnt odor. This leads me to believe that the front left might be hanging up. Any idea on how I might get it unstuck besides replacing it?

The old rotors were pretty worn and had ridges along the rim. On most of the corners the caliper slid right off, however on the front left I had to really work the caliper to get it off. Found out afterwards it would have probably been smart to open the bleeder screw to allow the caliper to move and let the old pad past the ridge on the rotor. This caliper did compress back in just as easily as the others using channel lock pliers, which is a little strange. I'd expect more resistance if it was binding up.

Thanks for any help.
    -Dave

Edit: I also rotated the tires when I did the brakes. Swapped sides, not front/back. I noticed the right front tire had slightly uneven wear on the inside, which might account for this pulling to the left, however the car tracked straight before this. Haven't had the alignment checked since I bought the car about 4 months ago.
    Last edited by FiveOJester; 09-19-2005 at 12:10 PM.