GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbee needs help?

Default Newbee needs help?

Hello,

I'm new to the site and am looking for a little advice if you all don't mind. I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 530i with 50K miles. The vehicle has been in the garage since day one and has never seen snow. The car is mint inside and out.

However, the owner has stated that the oil has been changed only twice and the brakes pads haven't been replaced yet.

The car sounds great and rides perfectly.

Any reason to be concerned about the limited maintenance?

Thanks in advance.

dspdante

Default People are not that dumb...

Perhaps the owner is mistaken? That would indicate a high level of dealer slackness and owner stupidity: Oil should be changed every 6 months, as well as the first change at 500 miles or so. If this is the way it is, the engine will be worn and clogged. Perhaps it went unused for a long period of time? If so was the oil changed immediately after that?

If you do decide to buy it, do the oil change before driving it home. If it's on eBay, give it a miss, there will be something they are not telling you. If it is a genuine sale be very wary. GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Default thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Perhaps the owner is mistaken? That would indicate a high level of dealer slackness and owner stupidity: Oil should be changed every 6 months, as well as the first change at 500 miles or so. If this is the way it is, the engine will be worn and clogged. Perhaps it went unused for a long period of time? If so was the oil changed immediately after that?

If you do decide to buy it, do the oil change before driving it home. If it's on eBay, give it a miss, there will be something they are not telling you. If it is a genuine sale be very wary. GP

Thanks for the advice, I thought it sounded strange as well. Changing oil every 3K to 5K is standard operating procedure.

How can I be sure that there isn't permanent damage to the engine? Can a diagnosis be made?

Thanks for the advice, I thought it sounded strange as well. Changing oil every 3K to 5K is standard operating procedure.

How can I be sure that there isn't permanent damage to the engine? Can a diagnosis be made?

Quote Originally Posted by dspdante
    Hello,

I'm new to the site and am looking for a little advice if you all don't mind. I have the opportunity to buy a 1994 530i with 50K miles. The vehicle has been in the garage since day one and has never seen snow. The car is mint inside and out.

However, the owner has stated that the oil has been changed only twice and the brakes pads haven't been replaced yet.

Thanks in advance.

dspdante
    Have it evaluated by an knowledgeable mechanic before you buy it.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Default nikasil

Hello,

Thanks in advance.
    dspdante
    Make sure you check to see if the nikasil block has been swapped out.

Greg Mendoza

I'd pass on that. It's probably a Nikasil block and with the very long change interval you're just asking for trouble. Now if it's priced well below market, that's another matter.

So Nikasil is a bad thing. Can I research if it's a Nikasil engine block by using the VIN#?

So Nikasil is a bad thing. Can I research if it's a Nikasil engine block by using the VIN#?
    Yes

I think Link tells you what sort of block it has.

Work is blocked

-Charles
    If it cannot be fixed by the dremel or ducktape.. get out the sledge...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    I miss my e34

you will need to get the engine casting numbers off the block whish is straight up infront of the starter. Nikasil isnt necessarily a bad thing or something to run from these days. If it starts thats half a sign its good, if it idles rough it could be a ton of other things causing that. The only way to make sure its good is a leak down test. do a search for nikasil on this forum.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast