GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Right Rear window Pillar Trim Piece

Default Right Rear window Pillar Trim Piece

I was replacing a rear speaker today and couldn't get a couple of screws out, so I took off the rear pillar trim cover (Big Mistake). The posts are made of plastic and were brittle and broke off. Any one have any ideas for me. Its # 4 in the diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I was replacing a rear speaker today and couldn't get a couple of screws out, so I took off the rear pillar trim cover (Big Mistake). The posts are made of plastic and were brittle and broke off. Any one have any ideas for me. Its # 4 in the diagram.
    By the way if anyone's got this part out of a parts car (As long as the plastic posts are still good), I might go that way. My interior is grey.

Ralph,

they all break. If you get an old one, the probability is high that it will also break. The plastic is too brittle.
    I had the same problem on one side when I replaced the headliner. Used a soldering iron and some other plastic and soldered the plastic hook together. Works.
    Try to get another hook from a hardware store and try to glue it on, if that material allows it.

All the plastic on the E34 gets brittle when it gets old. You can look at it and it breaks. Whats up with that. My 75 2002 has parts that I have never replaced in 23 years of ownership including some dash bulbs. They just don't make them like they used to.
    Willo
    Good luck

Hey Ralph- I've got a used one in grey- can't promise that the fabric is super-clean, but the plastic is not broken. Let me know if you can't get yours fixed.

Bret.

I was able to Gorilla Glue all 4 plastic tabs back into place. Almost like new!