GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: I'm considering buying a E34T and need some input from some of the BMW gurus

Default I'm considering buying a E34T and need some input from some of the BMW gurus

the E34 touring seems to be a pretty darn good value right now but I could use some input on which model to go with. 525iT or 530iT? I've done my research and I know about year to year changes and what I could find out about options. Although that info is just from internet searches and the reality may be different. My real confusion is the motor. From what I can tell they are getting roughly the same fuel mileage with pretty similar power outputs. Primarily because the six is mated with a four speed slushbox and with the eight cylinder being matched with the five speed auto. Why would I go with the six if the eight is getting roughly the same mileage? or is that mileage just on paper and not in the real world?
    Ideally I would prefer the cheaper to maintain,more fuel efficient, and more durable six cylinder with a five speed manual but I can't get that unless I do the swap myself, not something I'm really interested in.
    I do plan on towing a popup camper with this. Can anyone look in their manual and post cargo and trailering limits for the two models? That would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

If you're towing you might consider the extra torque you get from the 8. Which year model are you looking at?
    Cheers

Wingman
    '89 525i/A Exec 193000kms
    '94 Subaru Liberty AWD Wagon
    Looking for Merc 300TE
    NSW, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by speedy72t
    the E34 touring seems to be a pretty darn good value right now but I could use some input on which model to go with. 525iT or 530iT? I've done my research and I know about year to year changes and what I could find out about options. Although that info is just from internet searches and the reality may be different. My real confusion is the motor. From what I can tell they are getting roughly the same fuel mileage with pretty similar power outputs. Primarily because the six is mated with a four speed slushbox and with the eight cylinder being matched with the five speed auto. Why would I go with the six if the eight is getting roughly the same mileage? or is that mileage just on paper and not in the real world?
    Ideally I would prefer the cheaper to maintain,more fuel efficient, and more durable six cylinder with a five speed manual but I can't get that unless I do the swap myself, not something I'm really interested in.
    I do plan on towing a popup camper with this. Can anyone look in their manual and post cargo and trailering limits for the two models? That would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
    525i is cheaper to maintain, more fuel efficient but also has slightly less HP and torque - it also does not suffer from Nikasil issues. Too bad you are in the US - in Europe there are a lot of manual tourings around at very good prices.
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

the last model year or two. 95 or 94. I'll be giving up an AWD Audi so traction control is a must, which from what I can see is standard on all of them by then. I am also considering MB E320 (210hp straight six) wagon or another Audi but in the Avant instead of sedan body. I'm a hardcore DIY mechanic so not much scares me but the Audi has just beat the hell out of me on repairs so I thought I'd try something different. My smartest choice would be a Suburu but after a life of German cars I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Yes the V8 would be good for the extra power but even our Audi with the 1.8t motor has a rated towing capacity of 2,000 lbs. The camper I'm looking at is 1,400 to 1,700 lbs. And since this will be a ten year old car with 100K or so on the clock I'm concerned with the extra maintenance and repair costs of a highly complex V8 over a straight six. That concern may not be founded in reality however.
    Last edited by speedy72t; 09-18-2005 at 06:54 PM.

there is a recent thread on this subject albeit 535 vs 540......

here
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 09-18-2005 at 07:09 PM.
    Gone but not forgotten

please wrap one up and send it over. Diesel with a five speed while you're at it!

Default I just landed a 1992 525iT.....

and will be swapping the M30/5-spd/3.73LS in to it from my wrecked 535im

Quote Originally Posted by speedy72t
    please wrap one up and send it over. Diesel with a five speed while you're at it!

id go for the 525 over the 530 if for no other reason way more plentiful as salvage, probably 80% of the car is the same as a sedan, i am not impressed with the 3.0 m60 not enough power increase to justify the pita that the unique 530 parts add to getting service
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

standing in for the 530.

The 525 is a pig. Heavier car, heavy transmission, same lil engine. If you must, then get the 94-95.

I tow all the time, drive long trips fully loaded with combi box on top and still get the same 22-25mpg. Face it, all wagons will get 13-17 mpg in city driving.

I dream about it being lighter and faster, but compared to the 525iT, I feel much better having the 3.0.

The only wagon slower than the 525iT is the merc 300D wagon.

Any nik that's still running in 05 that passes a leak down test that doesn't show a suspect cylinder, is still a good buy, and a good argument for paying less for it.

Power steering hoses are expensive,yes
    valve cover gaskets go in both cars
    both have LAD, which is great IMO
    ac aux fans are the same
    oil leaks are always expensive
    so you have two 02 sensors, big whoop
    The wagons have a 5 speed tranny's as opposed to 4 speeds in the sedans.

Having a manual to trade in either car is a good thing for both.

truth be known, if I could afford a euro m5, I would buy it and french the whole damn thing into my touring....but since I won't be doing that, I am going to totally enjoy my wagon.

I would try to get the lowest mileage I could find, it's worth the extra grand or so. A dealer friend of mine just bought a 525iT for $3500 bucks and it is sweet...I'm trading him my basketweaves for new brakes.

Still, I've driven them side by side and my 530 kills the 525 in every way....I would really beat down a 525 if MattP didn't live in Dallas and make me eat my words with his M5.

I heard sayther put an M3 motor in a 525iT and that car really will scream having lost all those extra pounds.

all

here's one

and another

autotrader has a green one with only 60k
    Last edited by Elekta; 09-18-2005 at 07:53 PM.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38