GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove and Where is it?

Default How to remove it and Where is it Help please?

In that order. All help gratefully accepted. I don't have a manual and I am having some difficulty understanding how to do a couple of things. I have a chilton book, but it does not address this at all as far as I can see.

First of all, the 3 button a/c switch for 1989 5251. The part number is 6131 1 391 764. I can't figure out how to remove it? There are spring tabs on the top and bottom, but I don't see how to access them from the front? Does the radio have to come out first? or is there some other way in there to compress those tabs and remove the switch?

Second, the remote temp sensor. The one that reads the outside temperature... Where is that little beauty? I have been looking for days trying to find it. Any one guide me on this quest?
    Thanks in advance.
    JF
    Last edited by Joe F; 09-18-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F
    H
    Remove what? Where is what?

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Ralph--Let me translate. I speak newbie.

He wants to know how to remove the 3 button a/c switch--part number is 6131 1 391 764

And he wants to know where the remote temp sensor is located.

Joe--may I recommend for your reading pleasure

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=14093
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Joe,

the easiest way to get the AC switch out IS to remove the radio. You should be able to do this with a small allen wrench (yeah- the correct tool has 5 sides, not 6 like an allen wrench- but it will work if you use the right size + put some sideways pressure on it). Flip open the 2 small access covers to the side of the radio, and you will see the screws you need to loosen. They will not come out, they will just loosen the mechanism inside the radio housing that will allow you to pull the radio out of it's hole. Then you should be able to push the old AC switch out from the backside- you don't really need to compress those spring tabs- it should pop out with a little push.

The Outside temp sensor is at the front driver's side of the car, under the bumper. It should be held to the metal inner nose/fender panel by a plastic clip. Your old temp sensor may be missing- in which case it will be harder to spot where it should go. I think the plug should be a yellow plastic plug- to match the color of the sensor- but it might be grey or blue......

I'm sure someone can snap a pic if this does not help you find it. I would offer but I'm unable to post pics right now......

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle

He wants to know how to remove the 3 button a/c switch--part number is 6131 1 391 764

Thanks Gayle,
    I read the newbie info. I also did my own search of the archives and did not find the sensor location there. Ralph was not able to answer my question because the first post I sent inadvertantly. I guess I hit the enter button by mistake and it was gone and very blank. . Can't take them back so I edited it as quickly as possible, but not fast enough.

Thanks Bret.
    I will look behind the bumper. I had been looking in the fresh air ducts under the windsheild. NOt even close. LOL. I will let you know the result.]
    I appreciate the help.
    Joed

Thanks Gayle,
    I read the newbie info. I also did my own search of the archives and did not find the sensor location there. Ralph was not able to answer my question because the first post I sent inadvertantly. I guess I hit the enter button by mistake and it was gone and very blank. . Can't take them back so I edited it as quickly as possible, but not fast enough.

Joe I was just messing with ya. A more descriptive title to the thread would help though.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle

When I first read his post it said "H", that's it. I see now he edited it and added what he meant to say.

Hey Joe,we were all a newbie at one time or another, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    Hey Joe,we were all a newbie at one time or another, no biggie.

I will probably never graduate from newbie status since I am so burdened by cluelessness. I should not have messed with you Joe, but the aussies are a bad influence on me.

In that order. All help gratefully accepted. I don't have a manual and I am having some difficulty understanding how to do a couple of things. I have a chilton book, but it does not address this at all as far as I can see.

First of all, the 3 button a/c switch for 1989 5251. The part number is 6131 1 391 764. I can't figure out how to remove it? There are spring tabs on the top and bottom, but I don't see how to access them from the front? Does the radio have to come out first? or is there some other way in there to compress those tabs and remove the switch?

Second, the remote temp sensor. The one that reads the outside temperature... Where is that little beauty? I have been looking for days trying to find it. Any one guide me on this quest?
    Thanks in advance.
    JF
    Hey Joe, my best advice to you is to buy a Bentley Manual. Also, somewhere around here's an online scanned owner's manual. I can't find it right now but I'll try and locate it for you.

Like rigmaster said. The temp sensor should be right next to your driver side foglamp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast