GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help - cannot get inside car, battery is dead

Default Need help - cannot get inside car, battery is dead

Hi everybody,

Just found this community, in desperate search of a solution for my problem. Seems a great place with answers for all sort of problems, I hope to add my part.

My E34 lost all power, basically the car battery is dead after not being used while on vacation.
    Last time I had this problem, I succeded by wiring a cable from another car's battery and connecting it to the light source from my car's trunk. This supplied enough power to open the doors. At that time, the car trunk was left open, so the light was ON.

Unfortunately, right now everything is locked, including trunk and lights are OFF. I tried to connect the wire from the battery to one of the lights from the license plate, but because the lights are off, this is not working.

The alarm was supposed to be dead, but I cannot think why the BMW engineers would've chosen to design an electrical key locking system instead of a mechanical one. Is it something I am missing here?

Any tips and advices about how to open the door without smashing a window, would be REALLY appreciated.
    Last edited by E34_buch; 09-12-2005 at 09:26 AM.

do the emergency procedure on the passanger side...

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

There is an emergency unlock procedure. I think it is lift the driver side handle while turning the key as far as possible counterclockwise. If you are in a country that drives on the other side, might be the opposite.

Do a search in this forum under "emergency unlock" or "lock synchronization"

Good luck.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

The emergency lock procedure didn't work on the driver's side. I turned the key to the left, heard a "click", but the door didn't open and now the key is not turning right. I presume this is related to the synchronization procedure.

The great thing is that it worked like a charm on the passenger seat. I left the door open and will hook up another battery in the morning. I hope the driver's door will open after this.

Thanks for the FAST replies, you saved me a day of hassle and probably one window. THANKS!

it only works on the passanger side.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yes, you are right! Thanks!

Default On some years it works on both sides

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal

I almost learn something here everyday...what cars had the dual door option?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

That's strange - I can open/close both the driver's and passenger's doors with the flat battery. It's the same as if I didn't have central locking. Is this euro-only feature?
    BMW E34 528i, M52B28 + M50 manifold, Remus exhaust, ///M Parallel Spoke 18" rims

I almost learn something here everyday...what cars had the dual door option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast