GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $124 for this? ;-)

Default $124 for this? ;-)

Let's hope I don't do something irreparably stupid on this job. LAD accumulator from BMA, 2x$124. The shocks are not leaking so I'm going to just replace the bombs. I'll be doing the brakes at the same time.

BTW, for those interested, there exists a spell check for Internet Explorer that run against text in forms. Freeware, snag it from http://www.iespell.com/

I actually washed the cars! (I really did wash the 535 too, just didn't take a photo).

And finally, spring appears to be just around the corner...

Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by warton; 03-01-2004 at 01:24 AM.

Default Just gotta ask yourself , could i make them for 124.00 ? : )

nt

Looks like a nice day in the Rose City...
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

what's your reasoning for replacement at all?? Symptoms? Ride?

What are those "bombs"? Those are the acumulators? Why replace just those?

All I have is a squeak from the right rear, but I can't even guarantee that it's shock related. As far as I can tell, everythings' fine, but I am interested in what you're up to.

Geoff, with a 94 530iT.

Lemme know when you're ready for a Thule conversion for your rails.

Default Geoff, since you're from Texas, ever ridden in a low rider with

a badly done hydraulic job? Thats what the rear suspension feels like when the accumulators are bad...it feels like you have no shocks at all ....If its a
    sudden failure its really obvious to the driver as to how it rides...

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    what's your reasoning for replacement at all?? Symptoms? Ride?

What are those "bombs"? Those are the acumulators? Why replace just those?

All I have is a squeak from the right rear, but I can't even guarantee that it's shock related. As far as I can tell, everythings' fine, but I am interested in what you're up to.

Geoff, with a 94 530iT.

Lemme know when you're ready for a Thule conversion for your rails.

Seen them but never ridden in them.

Thanks Bill.

Default Let alone sell them for a profit...

In the grand scheme, I probably should have just replaced the rear shocks with non-LAD. It would have cost ~same as just replacing the bombs, and I wouldn't have to worry about the LAD shocks leaking in the future.

Peter

Default not really Peter....

to delete the LAD costs almost as much as replacing both pricey LAD struts and accumulators because you need to purchase replacement springs...the spring rate is much lighter for LAD...if switch to a conventional rear suspension. Add in all the ancillary hardware to plug the hydraulics and conventional suspension shock mounting hardware and it is almost a wash to preserve a load leveling suspension that is far superior to a conventional one. In summary, you did the right thing. And Goeff...the telltale of a failed LAD suspension is a high frequency/low amplitude bounce akin to riding a pogo stick....not a low frequency/high amplitude lack of damping associated with failed convention shocks.
    Very nice pics Peter...gotta love that camera. Believe you could have done much better on the accumulator price. Most purchase them for ~$90...suprised BMA was that high. You could call Eurasian for another data point if you haven't already mounted them.
    HTH,
    George

Default Good points George... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    to delete the LAD costs almost as much as replacing both pricey LAD struts and accumulators because you need to purchase replacement springs...the spring rate is much lighter for LAD...if switch to a conventional rear suspension. Add in all the ancillary hardware to plug the hydraulics and conventional suspension shock mounting hardware and it is almost a wash to preserve a load leveling suspension that is far superior to a conventional one. In summary, you did the right thing.
    I guess I didn't realize that the springs would have to be changed as well, though it makes sense. I also chose to replace the bombs 'cause I thought it was a DYI job I could handle (it helps knowing that when I make my first in a series of ludicrous mistakes, you and Bill and Winfred and the rest of the gang will be here to bail me out ;-). If you start seeing anonymous posts about replacing accumulators you'll know it's me trying to minimize my embarrassment. Heh heh...

Very nice pics Peter...gotta love that camera. Believe you could have done much better on the accumulator price. Most purchase them for ~$90...suprised BMA was that high. You could call Eurasian for another data point if you haven't already mounted them.
    HTH,
    George
    I'm really enjoying the camera... it's so fast and consistent I almost never miss the shot I want. And there's continuous mode for those times. ;-) I didn't shop around at all for the bombs, except enough to laugh at the dealer's quote. Next time I'll comparison shop.

Regards,
    Peter

Will the accumulators's for the 535 be the same for the M5? BMA doesn't list the M5 in their car selection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast